I want to race bmx next year...

anyone here race ? or raced?

I used to dirtjump, and race motocross… So I hope that my balance is still there and the jumping should come back somewhat quickly…

any tips on bikes to look at online? I’m 6’2"…

I raced for many years but dont keep up with bmx bikes at all now.

21" tt would fit you alright.

Practice your gates a few times before you show up to race.

Cruiser.

raced bmx for years. sometimes i want to get back on the track but i’m too lazy to put brakes on.

i’d get a steel frame over aluminum. it would last longer and you could ride street/trails without having to worry about breaking it. plus modern street/trails bikes are as light or lighter than most race bikes up until about 2004.

I just bought a Felt Sector 24", I’m a total noob as far as BMX goes so I don’t really have any constructive input. See you in “BMX racing season 2009” thread?

see ya there!

is the big debate 24" or not? I always remember making fun of them, but I was 13 and made fun of everything…

i wish i lived close enough to a track to get in on bmx racing season 2009.

see ya there!

is the big debate 24" or not? I always remember making fun of them, but I was 13 and made fun of everything…[/quote]

24" is for the old guys who can’t cut it. do you want to be a quitter before you start?

What if yer already an old guy before you start?

see ya there!

is the big debate 24" or not? I always remember making fun of them, but I was 13 and made fun of everything…[/quote]

Yeah, I remember reading about 24" bikes in BMX PLUS! back in the day and being outraged. Then there was some douche who was experimenting with a three speed internal hub and it made me vomit all over. It was all so… impure.

see ya there!

Yeah, I remember reading about 24" bikes in BMX PLUS! back in the day and being outraged. Then there was some douche who was experimenting with a three speed internal hub and it made me vomit all over. It was all so… impure.[/quote]

Mike King had a three speed hub on his GT for a bit. i think he tested all the wacky GT bikes in the early/mid 90s. i’m pretty sure he ran the rear suspension frame for a little bit. he’s also the partly responsible for fucking up bmx racing by being one of the first to really introduce clipless pedals outside of the under 10 riders.

then the second sentence applies :colbert:

after riding clipless on the road for ~4 years I’m still unsure about wanting to ride bmx clipless… I really liked bailing on huge jumps when I see disaster is coming my way…

the worst is seeing kids crash while clipped in. they just lay there tangled up with the bike until someone can help them if they didn’t get unclipped in the crash. i think the last thing i want if i’m falling from a height is a bike attached and following.

the best thing is watching kids ride around off the track falling over because they can’t get unclipped when they stop.

clipless is the way to go in bmx.

So how much shit am I gonna catch racing BMX with S-Works MTB shoes?

none. as far as i know people either use mtb shoes or skate-looking shoes.