I was that guy

Went on an afternoon ride after work on Sat. It was a long mtb ride with a riding buddy I had not seen in a while. Great awesome ride and all… I did not get home until near 7pm, I was hungry and tired, singing along to Andrew Bird.

And then I pulled into my carport and forgot my bike was on the roof rack…

Rigid fork trashed, rear wheel may be taco’d, gotta check if it is not the spokes. Roof rack is pretty much toast. I may still salvage it, but it is off the car now. Luckily, nothing happened to the car.

So, no mtb riding in the meantime. I am back to only road riding.

Oh, hello all, sorry I’ve been gone. Just been caught up with life and all. How are all y’all?

Spewin’.

ouch. I guess all in all the damage could be a lot worse. I know a guy who did the same thing but with a full carbon road bike, and it sustained no damage other than ripped bar tape. Unfortunately the force was entirely absorbed by the roof of his little Hyundai.

Yikes… that sucks, Yves. Hope you can get a new fork/rear wheel soon!

Holy moley that sucks!

Yeouch!

sorry, that sucks bad

it is one of the reasons that this is permanently installed on one of our cars . . .

and this is installed on the other car

I need some sort of in cabin “ALTERT LIGHT” on the dash to let me know shits on the roof.

thats the reason i ride to/from my fornt door.
i haz no bike rack on car.

fuck.

sorry man.

Pro tip. When leaving, put something in your garage that you have to get out and move before you can pull back in.

dude, you should install a mirror above your garage door so you can see that shit.

It’d be good for like if Venom was on the roof of your car to kill you when you got home or something.

[quote=kjohnnytarr]dude, you should install a mirror above your garage door so you can see that shit.

It’d be good for like if Venom was on the roof of your car to kill you when you got home or something.[/quote]

that’s actually a great idea.

I’m guessing a covered parking spot in a parking lot, not a garage. But not sure.

I’ve heard others say to put garage door opener in the trunk.

Thats why I don’t like the racks that mount to your factory car rails… they don’t work well together.

I drove my car into the garage with my steel marin verona (roadie) and my Marin Juniper trail (hydroform) on my yakima roof rack and everything did just what it was supposed to… broke.

The rack peeled away and the bikes ended up all crumpled on the ground still attached to the rack, but there was no damage whatsoever to either bike. The rack was dunzo.

Sorry man.

I know it would only be a matter of time if I had a roof rack, or a garage.

I like the mirror plan, but I know I’d fuck it up,

Good advice all,thanks. Yeah, there are a number of things I could have done. Fuck it, I can’t dwell on it now.
Looks like I am getting a sussy fork now. I ride my road bike out my front door, but I like the mtb to only see dirt.

I’m not so sure I am going back to a roof rack.

Yeah, it’s a car port at my apartment. The mirror idea is still a great idea for general use.

Condolences. Good luck on that suspension fork. Fox?

Read this. now going back to my car-free lifestyle/Portland.(oh lordy.)

I did this once, the rack pulled off the car and left a nasty dent/scrape. The bike is fine luckily.