if you can dodge a wrench, you can race a bike (training thread)

i usually feel really good after intervals, but definitely do some sort of ride the day after. mostly easy. if you go on a longer ride the day after intervals be sure to eat and rest accordingly (ie more food, more sleeps)

or are you meaning on the same day?

I have a descriptor of ME in regards to % of power/HR, but yeah as oogens says it stands for “Medium Endurance”, I edited the post to hopefully make it more clear.

gotcha, basically like a bit over sweet spot then?

ideally i want to extend the amount of time i can hold a relatively high target wattage for. i have a big dip in my power profile at the 1-5 min mark.

Quinoa top tip:
Soak it in water overnight and risnse 2-3 times after because natural pesticide tears up your guts.

like before cooking? i havent had a problem with it just cooked like rice atmo

In that same vein, if you sprout it, it gets even more amazing, also super easy to digest.

doug, you’ve made a ton of fitness gains, and FTP work definitely has it’s place in the aspiring amateur racer’s toolbox, but i think your progress may derive from a few more things than just that.

^euphemism for EPO use

[quote=Sandbagbear]Quinoa top tip:
Soak it in water overnight and risnse 2-3 times after because natural pesticide tears up your guts.[/quote]

I just toast the quinoa in the pan for a bit and let it crackle before setting it aside while I mix some better than bullion at half strength then cook it up, lovely.

[quote=scrub][quote=Sandbagbear]Quinoa top tip:
Soak it in water overnight and risnse 2-3 times after because natural pesticide tears up your guts.[/quote]

I just toast the quinoa in the pan for a bit and let it crackle before setting it aside while I mix some better than bullion at half strength then cook it up, lovely.[/quote]

I do this, but add a mirepoix to the mix.

oh dude, i totally agree. i just think it’s a really worthwhile thing to do when faced with limited time.

in that light, what would you have her doing?
we share an acquaintance with a similar situation. what is she doing to get faster?

Alright, I could use some advice:

I crashed on a descent 3 weeks ago during one of my collegiate road races, cracked my right patella, broke left eye orbit, and put 8 breaks in my left cheekbone. So I’ve been kicking it at home recovering ever since. The most “active” thing I did was walk about 1/2 a mile in my neighborhood. This week I got permission to start exercising again, and said I could start riding outdoors as of April 2.

So my question is, what are some good workouts I can do to get my body back into the routine? I was up to 15-20 hours/3 races per week, solid collegiate B when I went down. I’m worried about what’s the best way to get back into things. Just concentrate on putting miles in? Prioritize flexibility and wait on strength until I start doing base again?

I was thinking spend the time until April 2 getting some trainer rides in, maybe 1-2hr a day, just spinning my legs, nothing more. Then start putting in miles until I feel comfortable on the bike , then begin trying to get power back with the goal of doing some 4/5 track racing this summer (which gives me 2+ months of recovery. Should I look at everything as base v2.0?

itt mander realizes he has never seriously trained

However, dq. re caffeine pills: do they make you piss any less than coffee/ red bull/ coke/ whatever caffeinated liquid? when minirandoing, coke n water really helps me to stomp up hills but the added peeing cuts into those gains.

Blow will make you go real fast

Yeah Saponin occurs naturally on the quinoa and can be rinsed off. I promise it’s much better this way, try it!
And yes, before cooking

[quote=truckdoug]a) in that light, what would you have her doing?
b) we share an acquaintance with a similar situation. what is she doing to get faster?[/quote]

a) 2 days tempo (SST for you powerbros), 1 day LT, 1 day long enduro, 1 day specialty workout (you pick your poison, in my case it’s sprints), 1 day active recovery ride and 1 day off the bike works out to be a pretty solid 7 day plan for what jordan’s looking at atmo. trail up the volume over weeks 1, 2 and 3, rest hard on the 4th with no more than an hour spent riding each day, then tear it up at spring classics.
b) who we talkin’ bout here?

rofljen atmo

[quote=Roundabout]Alright, I could use some advice:

I crashed on a descent 3 weeks ago during one of my collegiate road races, cracked my right patella, broke left eye orbit, and put 8 breaks in my left cheekbone. So I’ve been kicking it at home recovering ever since. The most “active” thing I did was walk about 1/2 a mile in my neighborhood. This week I got permission to start exercising again, and said I could start riding outdoors as of April 2.

So my question is, what are some good workouts I can do to get my body back into the routine? I was up to 15-20 hours/3 races per week, solid collegiate B when I went down. I’m worried about what’s the best way to get back into things. Just concentrate on putting miles in? Prioritize flexibility and wait on strength until I start doing base again?

I was thinking spend the time until April 2 getting some trainer rides in, maybe 1-2hr a day, just spinning my legs, nothing more. Then start putting in miles until I feel comfortable on the bike , then begin trying to get power back with the goal of doing some 4/5 track racing this summer (which gives me 2+ months of recovery. Should I look at everything as base v2.0?[/quote]

here’s food for thought. just the shock of crashing (tensing up, stress hormones) takes 4 weeks to heal from.

this is straight from the mouth of one of the foremost cycling physiologists in portland

rest well, add strength (and add it symmetrically!) and let the fitness come as it may.

time heals all atmo

The Merckx is not finished yet, so I only have sw8 fixies to ride for the next ~month.
Riding ~11 hours / week now and mixing in tabata intervals 3 days/ week.
I want to elevate my track performance from abysmal to below average.
Any tips to tweak these workouts for sw8 fixie use?

aw jeez.