I'm thinking about painting my bike purple

This is an old thread about painting my bike, it ended up looking like this:

But now it looks really fucked up and the shade makes me sick. I don’t know if purple suits me or if it would suit my bike, but I really these:

(I think this shade would really work^)

Any shade shade recommendations, thoughts? And yeah, it would be rattle canned again, but if I turned out liking it i could eventually get it done professionally. I don’t know if I could see myself on a purple bike, it would have to be the perfect shade. Ill eventually be upgrading wheels and whatnot giving a bit of a different look, If I ever do it pro, I wanna get some raleigh decals and do it up cool so it’s not bland like every other solid colored track bike.

(ps. Sorry halbritt for never using all of those polishing instructions you gave me. I might someday use them on a rim, or other parts. I wouldn’t like the way the frame turned out though, the welds show to much.)

You won’t be able to ride your bike between primer and paint.

Thats not a concern, im going to paint it before im done building it up. Unless your talking about if i choose to primer it i wont be able to paint it a while later, If i paint it black or white it will most likely be only primer but if i choose to do somthing nicer itll be primer then top coat but no riding in between.

i like battleship gray. like this:

thats not mine btw.

[quote=“trevorgasm”]i like battleship gray. like this:

thats not mine btw.[/quote]

Ill definitley consider that, and i was planning on having all black components too.

cool. i think an earthy burnt orange can look good too without being overly flashy.

old school klein paint job.

Just ride that shit unpainted.

Paint sucks anyways.

i enjoy a deep deep wine red kinda color.

Ask artblur

I would just wait for a paycheck or two and then get it powdercoated. Piece of mind once it’s done and a whole lot less work.

maroon to babyshit green fade.
I want a maroon, silver and white bike build so so bad. Maybe I’ll get my BK powdercoated over christmas.

How much is an average powdercoating? I was considering that until i heard rumors that its a bad idea to powdercoat aluminum frames, but people do it…i dont know what to beleive. Ive read somewhere it could depend on the type of alloy too, Ive never seen a powdercoated rush hour pro. i dont want mine to be the first and fail

you can generally find a decent powdercoat for 75 if the frame is bare, probably like 125 if they sandblast it. If you are looking to cut some cash out, find an auto shop and ask if they will add your frame onto a spray for a car of a color you want. I know some places (generally the one or two man type operations, not chain places) will just keep a lookout and let you know when they are doing the color you want and spray your bike along with the car parts for a pretty modest cost if you pay em under the table like. As far as i understand a large portion of the difficulty in painting with auto paint is the setup and mixing/buying paint, if they only have to mix a bit more and can just hang your frame in the booth with a couple bumpers and make a quick 50 bucks, a lot of local guys will jump on the chance.

You may want to email Raleigh and ask them about that. Frame and fork should be no more than $100 to powdercoat, unless you want sparkles or candy (translucent over chrome) or something like that.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. As for now, i think im going to save up and forget about spray painting it. I just dont know if you can do any damage to a frame leaving it bare…(im assuming not since aluminum dosent rust…)

I dont have all my parts so i havent really gotton an idea of how the bare frame would look built up, but i just threw on a random old bare threaded steel fork, the wheels bars stem seat and seatpost (all black) for the first time just to see and it looks pretty badass like that. If i can clean up the frame better thers a chance of keeping it like that. Im just really excited about this build.

[quote=“Al_”]Thanks for all of the suggestions. As for now, i think im going to save up and forget about spray painting it. I just dont know if you can do any damage to a frame leaving it bare…(im assuming not since aluminum dosent rust…)

I dont have all my parts so i havent really gotton an idea of how the bare frame would look built up, but i just threw on a random old bare threaded steel fork, the wheels bars stem seat and seatpost (all black) for the first time just to see and it looks pretty badass like that. If i can clean up the frame better thers a chance of keeping it like that. Im just really excited about this build.[/quote]

polish and clear coat would look hot sex.

Thats not a concern, im going to paint it before im done building it up. Unless your talking about if i choose to primer it i wont be able to paint it a while later, If i paint it black or white it will most likely be only primer but if i choose to do somthing nicer itll be primer then top coat but no riding in between.[/quote]

You can’t use primer as paint or it’ll get dirty and look like shit in no time. Paint’s nice and smooth, kind of a non-stick surface. Primer on the other hand has a “dry” almost chalky feeling since it’s intended as a surface for your paint to stick to. That’s why you shouldn’t handle a primed surface with your bare hands (the oils!) let alone biking on it for a while.

flat black primer is the tits.

ALL THE COLORS.