It's Electric! A thread for e-bike things.

That’s crazy. Tsdz2 needs 1/4 crank rotation to turn on, at least with the Eco Cycles firmware. That’s pretty manageable, but it does feel like it’s getting launched into my ass sometimes

1 Like

Does walk mode work up stairs? I’m actually not sure but I’m going to go find out, as I just got my company bike up and running (was waiting on parts after the bike got back from the FCC testing and I think they didn’t treat it with kid gloves).

Not my stairs…

1 Like

Didn’t realize Bafang had some kits with torque sensing. All the ones I saw circa 2020 were cadence only. That much power so early seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Grin just released a firmware update to beta that allows a force threshold from the torque sensor to be set to trigger power delivery. Looking forward to seeing how that works. Hopefully it will let me set power to start sooner than it does now.

1 Like

I’m wondering if a rad power wouldn’t be a good compromise.

FWIW I’d absolutely not want to be involved with any dithering or mechanical anything. There’s a spesh shop nearby…. Hmmm

Radpower is Wal-Mart bikes with bafang-knock off motors.

2 Likes

make sure they dont sell you the wrong size!

Turbo Vado SL or any of the SL.
we could meet up if you/they want to ride my Vado, esp now that i’m working in the east bay. it’s a medium and its rad. with rack and basket, it’s still lighter than my long haul trucker.

i dont know your wife but i feel like this is going to be their jam: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-como-sl-5-0/p/200354?color=322701-200354

3 Likes

Neither. But I was just watching a YouTube of a guy that diy EVed his VW Passat, it was incredible, but he said he spent so much time dialling in the low end power curve, and he still starts it in 2nd, and for the first year he never actually got out of second.

This how a lot of people ride cadence sensed ebikes!

FWIW before I ordered the Tongsheng I tried finding these torque sensing mid drive Bafang motors, and while they do exist it looked to me like they were all meant to replace the BB on a purpose built frame. Unless I’m wrong, none of their bolt on kits have torque sensing.

1 Like

That was also my take.

Needs more sparkle rainbow, but otherwise, yeah.

1 Like

Yeah sorry, I’m only speaking about OEM, of which I am still gaining knowledge for sure. I am even less familiar with kits.

But you can see how someone could get a “Bafang sucks” opinion and then turn their nose up at a perfectly good OEM Bafang-equipped bike.

1 Like

I would certainly never say they sucked. Just different power delivery out of the box. I really miss mine, but it just was not a good solution for my wife. Do the OEM equipped Bafang bikes do torque sensing ?

1 Like

AFAIK most EVs only have one gear anyway. There’s no need for more.

1 Like

I know. But using the existing gearbox is a really simple way to do the drive chain I guess.

Okay. I think I have now officially ridden the e-Dummy every day since I built it. I was planning on riding my LHT to work today, but then there were wind advisories and blah blah blah I took the e-Dummy and no regrets. Wind is supposed to continue tomorrow so I have a feeling I know what is going to happen.

It’s just so good. Only quibble is that I charged the battery again last night and it still doesn’t give me the full five bars on the display (although the built-in charge display on the battery shows full). Might e-mail the dudes I bought it from and see if they have any feedback.

6 Likes

My boomer father went full boomer and bought a Harley Davidson e-bike.

Nevermind those arrows on the box, Dad. They mean nothing. Unboxing, pics and full review to come.

10 Likes

Damn I’ll bet all the oil has leaked out

8 Likes

Anyway I finally unplugged today. Had a funny feeling pedaling up my first hill like “ah shit I already forgot I have to actually push on the pedals” lol.

1 Like