It's Electric! A thread for e-bike things.

Ah got it. Yeah that makes more sense, in which case the REI will only match/double whatever the rider puts in, never more.

I was thinking in absolute terms of the maximum output the system is capable of.

1 Like

3 Likes

has anyone tried flying with an ebike? or are these monstrosities way too heavy and too packed with dangerous materials?

lithium ion battery > 100Wh can’t fly

I haven’t done it in a while, but I used to break down my full squish into an s&s case, I think my bike was around 31lbs and with packing material and tools I was borderline for overweight charges. Flying with an ebike (if you stay under battery size restrictions) might be a bummer for oversize/overweight fees

Edit: I don’t understand math, based on the above stated limit of 100 watt hours that’s like a 2 amp hour battery for most 36-48v systems, which is impossibly low capacity since my cheap shitty battery is still 12 amp hours I think

2 Likes

Having a weird one in the garage today. I’d mentioned a couple of weeks ago that my tsdz2 kit was making some noises I didn’t like. It started off with some popping/creaking when I was coming to a stop and putting my weight on one pedal. And eventually it became a sort of clattering noise when I was turning the cranks over which was the same no matter how hard I pedaled.

I decided to park it until I heard something back from Eco Cycles… Well they have supposedly been revamping their backend and have not been timely in getting back to me. I did some reading and decided the problem was a one-way bearing that was acting as a clutch between the crank spindle and the electric motor. I wasn’t getting any slipping like you’d expect if that bearing was dying but it was also my only guess. I ordered a couple replacements last week and one is supposed to come in tomorrow so I decided to take the motor apart this afternoon to get ahead of it a little.

When I took the motor apart, I sort of expected to pop that bearing off and for it to rattle and make crazy noises and honestly it seemed fine?.. And I looked over the housings etc and didn’t see any rubbing anywhere… I put the thing back together, which was sort of straightforward except that the spindle is held in place by two little circlips and a wave washer, and it was a pain to get the circlips seated again.

And now it’s fine? The creaking is gone. Everything seems to work pretty good. I don’t know if something got bumped or shifted since I didn’t notice anything obviously wrong. Guess I will ride it to work this week and keep an eye and ear on it.

5 Likes

Yep

99 Watt-hour capacity is permissible for air travel.

https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/batteries/36v-ligo-plus-battery.html

1 Like

this is why dewalt flexvolt batteries are designed as they are. until you put them in a 60v tool, they are technically multiple <100Wh batteries. there is a cap you put on them to ensure that for air travel.

99Wh is tiny.

2 Likes

Okay I’ve been thinking about my motor problem some more and thought maybe a nerd like @jimmythefly would have a thought here.

The big gear that connects the chainring to the electric motor has some grease on it. I feel like every time it has got noisier it was after I had the thing parked outside in the Texas sun. I’ve seen some chatter online that you need to regrease this thing periodically to keep the noise down. So I wonder if I was melting the grease off the gears when it sat outside, then I accidentally regreased it while I was poking at it yesterday.

I see recommendations for Mobilith SHC 100 which I believe would work but it’s not the easiest to order. Anybody got another hi temp lithium grease to recommend for me?

2 Likes
Summary

This text will be hidden

Is it wrong for me to want one of those aliexpress Super73s? Would be a grocery getter/commuter if I stay in LA

I mean it’s 1bong or 1.5 crosschecks at msrp

Lubriplate L0335, or I’m sure there’s a Krytox equivalent too but not sure which.

1 Like

Cat 6 chat has me looking at a Mahle X35 kit to potentially convert my groad bike into something that could give me a bit of an assist while commuting.

It’s the same hub motor that Cannondale, Scott, and Orbea spec on their bikes. But it looks like the parts alone cost as much as a cheap Steps build. What would Tarck do?

1 Like

40nm of torque is not a lot but might do what you want?

I don’t fully regret getting a kit but there are moments where it appears to be an ongoing project. If you can swing a complete bike I would think hard about that (but it does seem to me that cheaper e-bikes skimp on amp hours)

ive not messed much with retrofits, but even a cheap steps feels pretty badass

Is there a better option for a 20” front hub motor than hill topper. Gonna crust fork and xtracycle a bike and I want the E to just stay on the crusticle since this is just an experiment and it could me moved relatively easily to a different bike.

Grin Tech has a write up of the various hubs they carry that may be a good place to start. They also have some hub videos on their YouTube channel. Piecing together a kit from them might be more than you want to commit to an experiment, but some of those hubs should be available from other places.

So, I have this thing now. Disclaimer, a couple Tarckers and I work for them, but I have to admit the mid drive is really really good. The rear hub versions are surprisingly good too, but the mid drive is officially the quietest system I’ve ridden (Fazua, STEPS, Bosch and Brose).

I rode it a bit with stock wheels which are non-deore, deore hubs and tubed tires on a wide and heavy ish 36h rim. Felt good but heavy.

Swapped on some WTB i19 on 350 hubs wheelset I have and set up with 2.25 ardents tubeless and this bike changed dramatically. Only time you feel the weight is if you’re trying to get off the ground, but if the wheels are rolling, it’s good.

Have some samples arriving in a couple weeks and destined for shops for demo.

![image|375x500](upload://dwbyVO

5 Likes

Out of the loop, who else is working there?

1 Like

What’s up with the wiring to the wheel lock

Wheel lock is connected to the power supply and IOT device that’s in the downtube. If someone moves the bike, push notification is sent to your phone and if it is continued to be moved when locked the alarm goes off.

I removed it from this bike as we are selling it as an option and those who want a lighter ebike don’t want a 4 lb cafe lock.

1 Like