It's Electric! A thread for e-bike things.

thanks, good to know. This bike won’t be getting daily use or anything so hopefully their lifespans will be adequate

$450 ebike just came in. I’m never complaining about any conventional bike being heavy ever again

Extra thicc fork crown

One of the first things I adjusted, lol

It’s raining outside so doing the first ride tomorrow. Still gotta put on the front rack

I looked thru the documentation any honestly I’m impressed with the job they did. The user manual is pretty concise and clear in covering assembly and battery care.

Without riding it yet, I don’t love the bike but I think it’ll work really well for my purposes (errands/getting around and chasing sup on her road bike while on chemo and diminished fitness). After already having to loosen the rear wheel to install fenders, I’m really not looking forward to needing to replace a rear tire. Mid-drive for me if I remain on ebikes. Price was really good though, $450 shipped without taxes and includes front and rear lights. I know you guys can pay that much for 2 pairs of tire. The provided toolkit also included actual open ended wrenches, not just the stamped sheet stuff.

13 Likes

Real curious to see how the test ride goes and what sort of range you can get

I will admit I have been loving my e-bike lately. I have been feeling not-100%/maybe downright bad and it’s been real nice just leaving it in Turbo mode and soft-pedaling around town. I think I still prefer waking up feeling good and getting on an acoustic bike but it’s super nice being able to keep my routine and still get some recovery in

Spoiler alert: the rad is a fine bike and you’re gonna love using a throttle!

i absolutely do not need that but i am jealous

2 Likes

Took a Turbo Vado for the commute home, God damn I could get used to the low effort 20mph+ thing. Saved almost 10 minutes off my 6ish mile trip.

6 Likes

your job seems chill. what exactly are you doing at the s store?

We’re not a regular s bike shop, we’re an Experience Center. All of our bike are demos so it’s no big deal to take any of them for a proper ride. We soft open in a couple of weeks but here’s Boulder’s website to give you an idea. I’m one of the Experience Reps.

lol this mfer said experience rep.

7 Likes

Zing. I guess uncle Mike thinks that sounds better than “affluent people bike demo cheerleader”.

3 Likes

Interesting. So what sort of folks are visiting are they looking to attract? Getting a fit? Find a demo not available at an LBS?

Pretty much. Demos and rentals in a fancy environment.

1 Like

damn. that sounds like a really fun job. super glad you ended up with something this cool!

1 Like

I wonder how much brand loyalty there is for mainstream bike cos. Obviously there are surly fanatics but most companies don’t have a full lineup that also have a variety of fits

That said it’s probably easier to fit odd proportions to a bike frame than something of more consequence like ski boots

1 Like

is the e-katu discontinued? that other thread made me look it up and I was surprised to see that the revised versions had a bosch mid drive

I think all Katus got discontinued in the US back when they were being cleared out (late '19), not sure about other countries since their site kept redirecting me to the US last I looked a while back. The e Katus circa 2017 had Bosch mid drives.

1 Like

late to this but yes, discontinued in the U.S. i believe they’re still going outside of the U.S.

I have now ridden solely my e-bike for 2 weeks. It was pretty nice the last couple weeks when I had a lot of shit going on and little autonomy in my schedule but now that I’m back to business as usual I really want to ride one of my normal-ass bikes? But I’m waiting to do that until my joints stop complaining in the morning. The e-bike is definitely good for saving my energy for other things but also it definitely doesn’t blow off steam and stress the way a normal bike ride would.

1 Like

My feeling about it is that my ebike gets put to use as an alternative to driving, not an alternative to riding a regular bike. Anymore that’s commuting when it’s 90 oppressive degrees and above. So it’ll get ridden 5 days/week for a 3-4 months, then almost not at all until the following summer. Once it cools down enough I’m back to a regular bike as soon as I can because they’re just more enjoyable for me to ride.

7 Likes

That’s how I think of my ebike, its more utilitarian than my normal bikes. Use it to help the shitty or cold commutes go by fast

4 Likes