it's #lit

I’ve got one that’s been sitting in a tool box since 2010 you’re welcome to borrow. I’m 90% sure it still works

Have magic shines gotten any better in the last 5 years or do they still just shine a whole fuck ton of light right down the middle like a laser beam?

2 Likes

some good beam comparison photos:

1 Like

As much as I loathe PB, those are good beam shots. I’m currently working on a light roundup, and getting good beam photos has been a real challenge.

1 Like

What’s stopping battery light makers from putting a lens in there that is closer in spread to the nice dyno lights? I mean, a Luxos-U beam in battery offering would be very tempting to have for occasional use.

Any way to cludge something like that? I have a Luxos that I’d consider experimenting with.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s $$$. Much cheaper to just keep doing what they’ve been doing. Lezyne actually has StVZO-complient (battery) lights for the necessary market/s, but they don’t keep any in the US warehouses/hubs.

I think this just came up here:

1 Like

The set-up is ok but the beamshots are bad:

Find the brightest light, adjust exposure to accurately reflect it’s luminescence as it appears to your eye, lock exposure then photograph all other lights. They should only require minor adjustments post-process to get a fair representation. Hardest thing is the tint but LEDs and cameras are so good now that usually it’s not an issue.

Source: I was a flashlight reviewer for flashlightreviews.com in the late-2000s/early 2010s, before it got turfed.

4 Likes

oh my god flashlightreviews.com is the most appropriate past job for any tarcker ever

1 Like

modeled and 3d printed an adapter to make a garmin tail-light fit on a cygolite bracket. it was a lot cheaper and easier than expected!

now every light fits every bike.

5 Likes

I would love that mount for a secula to easily move it from fender to somewhere else when the fenders come off.

Permanently mounting your secula to the NDS dropout works out well for never interfering with fender removal & big butt rockets

But then how will I over complicate things?

with those gold banana connectors, lots of heat shrink, and at least two different rear lights

Got one of these to demo/test. Beam cut-off is very noticeable.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/road-edition/

:colbert:
It’s packaged like an old MTB light, but costs Busch + Müller IXON Space $

But does your old MTB light have a StVZO wide carpet of light???

What’s inside the battery pack? Is it a 2x18650 holder or are the cells soldered individually into the pack?

I need to pull it apart. Stay tuned.

I’m very interested in your opinion of the build quality of this light. The trail edition has been on my list for a minute.

I don’t have much to compare it to, but fit/finish is definitely nicer than the few badge-engineered lights I’ve used. Run-time on low power seems pretty decent for the road model, so I’m curious if that setting provides enough light for the darker sections of my commute (which happen to be on dirt/gravel trails).