Je suis fou des velos orange

nice wheel on a sweeet kilo doood!

I busted.

straight forks always do it for me. As well as chrome
dang[/quote]

Indeed. My orange Lemond had its paint and decals pretty jacked, so I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago to have it stripped and chromed. I bought a chrome straight blade from the folks at Traitor and I am dying while waiting for the rims I ordered to get here to finish the build It is no Colnago, but it will sassify me for now!

how much did chroming your lemond cost?

that orange colnago is pretty nice.

There was a huge variation in quotes from plating shops around town and over the internet. I eventually found a local shop that did it for $205 including all hazardous waste fees. The first attempt came out with a ton of nickel shadowing around the BB and ends of the stays welded to the BB. They had no issues giving it a second try and the second attempt came out much better with only a small amount of nickel shadowing on the underside of the BB and right where the chainstays join into it.

I had received quotes like 350 (if I stripped it, 450 if they did) from another local plating shop and quotes between $400-800 from various places over the web.

Sorry for the threadjack, once I get it built up, I am planning on posting it in the show your bike thread.

did you pay twice?

205 isn’t bad for chroming, i had always assumed that it was super super prohibitively expensive along the lines of the 450-800 quotes due to the hazardous ingredients used in the process
205 is like the cost of a good paint job

Definitely a good price.

No, the owner of the shop volunteered to re-plate it for free when I took it back and he saw the BB area. His employee had wrapped it without showing it to him, and he said he normally would not let that go out the door looking that way. I had taken it home wrapped, unwrapped it, saw the nickel shadowing, and drove it back a few minutes later.

He does a ton of custom auto work locally and online, so I think he wants to keep his reputation intact.

Should’ve extorted him for CHROMED EVERYTHING!

[quote=biekridder]205 isn’t bad for chroming, i had always assumed that it was super super prohibitively expensive along the lines of the 450-800 quotes due to the hazardous ingredients used in the process
205 is like the cost of a good paint job[/quote]

I had initially assumed the same as well, but I was told by everyone I talked to that the bulk of the expense is the labor involved in the detailed polishing job that has to be done before they plate it.