Kit Chat

look… I was there for 6 weeks, rode more miles than he did, went backpacking, road tripping and to a music festival… I just didnt have a blog to write about it on.

Ask me about Iceland.

1 Like

I think I’m going to splash on the Gore Endure.

1 Like

but… paclite any shake dry… and 250$ is a lot for a 2 layer jacket…

If ya’ll dont know Shake Dry is a completely different thing than any of the other gore products.

The jacket folds up smaller than a baseball.
It breaths better than most wind jackets.
It is 100% waterproof without fail.

But you cannot wear a pack with it and it can get tore up real easy in brush and stuff so they only make them for running/road biking.

Thanks for the recs! I’ll reach out if I think of more questions.

I’ve seen the shake dry thing, but never worn it. Glad to hear the good review, I’m sold.

The xbiking crew in my area loves Shakedry, but there are a lot of people looking for repairs, too.

I forget why I was prefering the Paclite over the Infinum jacket they have. It might have been the ability to tuck it in a jersey pocket. I got a coupon from a Strava challenge, so I’m definitely not paying MSRP.

There’s a $30 difference between the Lupra and Endure. I should look to see if anyone near me carries them in store.

Screamin’ deal on Castelli Shakedry jacket:

on tarck’s recommendation over the winter i bought a polartec neoshell jacket and it’s like the most mindblowing product. i’ve never used it for cycling but it breaths so well it totally changed how i dress for winter. the product i have is truly a shell and i think would be great for cycling if it were cut appropriately. mine happens to be cut for nordic skiing which is just enough different to be a different product.

it’s unreal. we’ve been lied to for decades

Oh shit. That could be my next backcountry jacket. How does it compare to a typical 3 layer?

It can’t be as breathable as shakedry tho…. Anyone worn both?

Edit: fuck. Now I want a 600$ rain jacket. Anyone know how to set a price alert thing for google?

So I read some more. Neoshell is old tech and many brands have been imitating it for quite a while. It looks like the numbers on its breathability are similar to other stuff. What makes it so great for you?

it breathes significantly better than any other waterproof breathable i’ve tried. not actually technically windproof- i’ve had returns from moto dudes. it’s a bit heavier but you don’t need to carry it in a pack because it actually breathes

ive never worn shakedry but neoshell is reasonably durable. can wear with a backpack or fall down occasionally while wearing it

1 Like

i have also never worn shakedry but cannot imagine anything being better than neoshell, so if shakedry is better then it’s a true miracle.
i used to start a ski with a down puffy on until i warmed up, and then ditch the puffy and go with midlayer at most. this sucked. i’d often start sweating too hard under the puffy. or if it was snowing, i’d get wet. now, i just wear the neoshell shell over less of my normal stuff.
i did a 50k in 7 degree weather wearing that shell and two REI merino long sleeve thin baselayers. no sweating. no cold. it’s unreal.

i’m good in it up to like 50f commuting in philly. not race pace but no slouching and humid AF.

i’m not positive that it’s old tech that others have been emulating for a while. and if it is, they’ve done a piss poor job emulating it

Dumb Q. Since getting older/fatter I like to ride with shorts over bibs on 90% of my rides. In the really hot weather some pretty embarrassing swamp ass emerges making me feel silly on store stops. Does anyone have a good over short that can keep up with wicking in bad humidity? I was looking at some of the Gore stuff but they all seem too long.

I use some random running shorts when I’m doing a more casual ride

2 Likes

I’ve had great luck with Giro stuff. Also look at “bib liners” that use a mesh fabric for better wicking under a baggy.

1 Like

Doing it wrong. Have you never heard of MAMIL? Plug that into a google image search, I dare you.

1 Like

Uniqlo active things. Like 7inch inseam. cheap. Buy a dark color.

1 Like

2nd on getting liner bibs instead of using regular bibs. When I’m going bike camping I wear bibs under some outdoor research hiking shorts and there’s a noticable difference between when I wear regular bibs vs liners.

I’ve had one pair of Patagonia liners for a couple of years and just picked up a pair of the rapha cargo liners. The rapha ones are more comfy, but have a lot less mesh (more regular bibs fabric) than the Patagonia.

1 Like

I’ve had some decent luck with Specialized soft goods and they have some decent sales on MTB shorts right now, does anyone know how the sizing runs? I’d love a 33 waist but it looks like 32 or 34 are my choices.