Let's talk about cycling foods!

Tried one of these during a longish ride and feeling shaky. Would not recommend.

i luv larabars

I rode with a guy who swore by a 44oz coke at the last rest stop of rides. Said the sugar fueled him home.

Personally, I only drink water, except for within 20-25mi of finish I’ll do a sports drink… hate it when warm, so must be close to finish (I NEVER finish a bottle in 30mi… I don’t drink much).

Cliff bars are awesome, otherwise just some trail-mix or a granola bar or something… mainly to keep the hunger away. sometimes, my sweet tooth kicks in.

[quote=surfimp]But - and this is a big BUT (literally and figuratively, I guess) - I really love stopping for real food during rides. Especially for a cafe mocha (with fat milk and whipped cream, in ceramic) and pain aux chocolate. And tacos. Oh how I love tacos.

To me, this is one of the main appeals to randonneuring / cyclotouring. Ride for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours (40-50mi), take a rest and a quick meal, ride another 3 hours, another rest & meal, etc… dawn till dusk and beyond, babby![/quote]

This.

When the ride is above 80 miles, real food is amazing. I did tacos on a Eug-PDX ride and it must have been the sodium replenishment or something but they made me feel 100x better afterwards.

I always cheap out of picking up coffee on rides though… usually because I already chugged a bunch before the ride began and pee every 25 minutes.

I usually take a cliff bar with me for anything longer than 25 miles. On even longer rides I’ll usually stop at a gas station or grocery store and eat a donut and a sports drink.

On this weekend’s 60 mile ride a ate a turkey sandwich from subway around the half way point. Treated me fine, but was a little too much to digest for the first half hour or so after eating it.

I’m with surfimp, I like real food on longer rides more than I like goos and gels.

[quote=chevy42083]Personally, I only drink water, except for within 20-25mi of finish I’ll do a sports drink… hate it when warm, so must be close to finish (I NEVER finish a bottle in 30mi… I don’t drink much).[/quote]insulated bottles, yo. I can’t get by in summer without them.

So dense it has it’s own gravitational field.

For the most part, it doesn’t matter what you eat if you’re not pushing your pace. If you are pushing your pace, then maltodextrin will supply the greatest number of digestible calories per hour. This is the basis for most “fuel” type foods.

steroids and meth

i make my own energy bars. also sammiches are great. fuck soda pop, sangria is better.

exactly.

serious business

[quote=Elderbear]

'sall about teh PB&B fer me. [/quote]
this.

• 1/2 coke 1/2 water

[quote=surfimp]

But - and this is a big BUT (literally and figuratively, I guess) - I really love stopping for real food during rides. Especially for a cafe mocha (with fat milk and whipped cream, in ceramic) and pain aux chocolate. And tacos. Oh how I love tacos.

To me, this is one of the main appeals to randonneuring / cyclotouring. Ride for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours (40-50mi), take a rest and a quick meal, ride another 3 hours, another rest & meal, etc… dawn till dusk and beyond, babby![/quote]

Hella.

I love bringing some dried mango on a ride, but feel bad as the stuff is so damn expensive. Gummy worms.

A friend and I decided to stop at James Coney Island in the middle of a 60mi ride. Chili cheese dog and chili cheese fries did NOT sit well for most of the 2nd leg. But they did taste oh so amazing at the time.

Been meaning to grab one. I think most hold less, which should be fine with my drinking less. With the guys I usually rode with, I had one bottle to their two (I had one cage, they all had 2) so it worked great. I’m doing mostly solo stuff no since most people flake out.

serious rage

50% coca-cola and 50% water???
that sounds terrible.

do tell more