let's talk scraper bikes.

well i won’t do much talking becausei can’t post at work, but you guy spost some good thangs and i’ll read them at work.

boombox on handlebars.
dudes sitting on the rack.
crazy laid back bars.
that bike can turn like a 2 foot radius circle, he does it at red lights in the cross walk.
i passed him once. a car was behind him. something fell off his bike and he put a foot down and stopped. i heard tires screech.

that’s not a scraper bike. where’s the foil in the wheels?

i’m living in oakland, i know scraper bikes.

let me see yur scraper bike scraper bike

someone post the vid

That’s not a scraper bike.

THESE are scraper bikes.

Can I just get a definition of what a fucking scraper bike is? And no I’m not watching that video because the last time (and only time) I tried it made my ears bleed.

I need that sweater with the weed leaves on it that the fat kid has.

So, a scraper is a car of sorts. Generally, an older sedan with custom paint and 22s or larger. The wheels are so large they “scrape” the fenders. Scraper bikes are simply made up to look like these cars with custom spray-bomb jobs and shiny shit in the wheels to replicate spinners. People favor 3-wheeled bikes for scraper bikes as they can carry the most stereo gear and can be ridden as slowly as possible generally without regard for traffic.

I know fuckall about the hyphy scene or anything else related to it, but I live in the neighborhood where this stuff started. It’s cool to see and strikes me as perfectly harmless. I have seen a few really nice scraper cars, but not so many nice scraper bikes. There’s one kid that cruises with his scraper trike on Fruitvale that has an impossibly loud stereo system powered by lead acid batteries. The thing must weigh a ton. I think it’s hilarious. I’ve fixed a couple of flats for the kids on my street. They seem pretty cool.

i thought the scraper bike was usually with a smaller wheel up front than what was designed making you scrape your cranks on the ground

FAIL

i see kids on scraper bikes and trikes every day on my commute. i always give em props and they look at me crazy.

[quote=halbritt]So, a scraper is a car of sorts. Generally, an older sedan with custom paint and 22s or larger. The wheels are so large they “scrape” the fenders. Scraper bikes are simply made up to look like these cars with custom spray-bomb jobs and shiny shit in the wheels to replicate spinners. People favor 3-wheeled bikes for scraper bikes as they can carry the most stereo gear and can be ridden as slowly as possible generally without regard for traffic.

I know fuckall about the hyphy scene or anything else related to it, but I live in the neighborhood where this stuff started. It’s cool to see and strikes me as perfectly harmless. I have seen a few really nice scraper cars, but not so many nice scraper bikes. There’s one kid that cruises with his scraper trike on Fruitvale that has an impossibly loud stereo system powered by lead acid batteries. The thing must weigh a ton. I think it’s hilarious. I’ve fixed a couple of flats for the kids on my street. They seem pretty cool.[/quote]

oh, so you’re in east o?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5_wsY9ysVE&feature=related

second comment down = die.

but i’ve thought about doing that to my bike wheels as well. then again, i’ve also thought about making a rear disc out of cardboard and putting the slayer logo on it.

Yup. Just off Fruitvale between 27th and Foothill. Cool area. Near the gentrified Dimond district, some projects, and the Latino/Salvadorean community near International. Also, there’s several Chinese families in the neighborhood that I gather have been around for quite a while. The house I live in was built by a Chinese family in the 1930s.

I think we all agreed it’s best to disable comments on youtube. The youtube comment area is a barren place that shall bear no intellectual fruit.

well, for certain music i like reading the comments because sometimes people have some information on the history of a song or band or something. not that “some dude on youtube” is a credible source, but for some things it’s nice to see those things.

i have little experience with east oakland. oscar grant protest (wasn’t a riot yet at that point) and accidentally getting off at coliseum bart one night, on the last bart. bad things happened to my partner afterward, weird things happened to me, just generally i now think “fuck east oakland”, but i guess that’s pretty deep.

There are parts of East Oakland that ain’t so great, but I generally feel like it’s the new West Oakland. All the cool warehouse-y spaces and hip kids that I knew that lived in West-O are now in East-O at places like Sunshine Biscuits and warehouses near 880 and Fruitvale. My metal-fab shop is now very near coliseum bart, so I ride by there sometimes.

yeah, it was just a really shitty night and my only experience with that part of oakland. kind of colors your perception a bit. first impressions and all.