List of Road Bikes With Disc Brakes

I am looking at replacing my Cross-Check with a disc-equipped road bike, but I want to assemble a list of manufacturers first, so I can shop around.

Ok, here goes my list. Add yours and I’ll put it in the first post, since this might be a useful reference considering how many of us seem one want something like this.

Disc or disc-equipped:
Traitor Ruben
Kona Honky Inc.
Kona Sutra
Kona Dew Drop
Raleigh Sojourn
Redline Conquest Classic
Nashbar “X” Cyclocross (exactly the price I was looking for, but man is it ugly!)
Genesis Croix de Fer]
Soma Double-Cross Disc
Cycling Superstar Levi Leipheimer’s Custom Land Shark Which You’ll Never Get Or Even See In Real Life
Salsa Fargo (debatable, but I’m putting it there anyway)
Salsa La Cruz
Novara Buzz
Signular Peregrine
Voodoo Wazoo
Rawland Drakker
Trek Portland
Fetish Position
Marin Toscana (comes with cantis, but is disc-compatible)
Motobecane Fantom Outlaw (and Outlaw frame/fork)
Origin8 700CX (not a real link)

Suggest more! No bike is too cheap, but only bikes currently in production and with derailer hangers, please.

Soma Double Cross
Salsa La Cruz
Novara Buzz
Genesis Croix de Fer (found this doing a google search, and I think I’m in love)
Levi’s Rain Bike :slight_smile:

I know a lot of these are “cross” bikes or frames, but they’ll do just as well, especially compared to a Cross Check.

Also, I swear Giant made one a few years ago, but I can’t remember what I was.

Sticky’d, btw.

That kona sutra looks like one badass motherfucker of a touring rig.

Yeah, I remember that Giant bike - a friend raced one. They definitely don’t make it anymore, and I’d like to limit the list to current bikes. Thanks Jim.

That’s what I figured, so I didn’t hunt for it. I’ll take the LeMond and CDale out of my list.

Singular Peregrine

What are the merits of BB7 road calipers over BB5s? I’d like to know if anyone has personal experience to share. Are there are other makers of road disc calipers?

when I read read about this thread in Teh Daiuly Tarck, I thought it might be a joke, then I saw it sticked and I thought, ‘must be joke’ now bonechilling is asking us about bb5s vs bb7s but the rest of teh thread seems serious enough. I have no idea what is going on.

BB7s have pad adjustability on both sides when setting up, BB5s are only adjustable one side. Pretty sure they wok the same once set up

I would maybe add Lemond Poprad even tho they’re not made anymore, they were making them with discs for, what 5 years? tehre should be enough used ones out there that you could maybe find one.

BB5s have a static inboard pad, BB7s are adjustable both inboard and outboard. Beyond that, in my limited amount of experience, they feel the same. Build quality is supposed to be better on the BB7s, but both use the same pads and what not. Having the ability to adjust both pads is enough for me to consider the 7 over the 5.

Shimano make a R505 (Tiagra level?) road disk.

[quote=sneaky viking]when I read read about this thread in Teh Daiuly Tarck, I thought it might be a joke, then I saw it sticked and I thought, ‘must be joke’ now bonechilling is asking us about bb5s vs bb7s but the rest of teh thread seems serious enough. I have no idea what is going on.

BB7s have pad adjustability on both sides when setting up, BB5s are only adjustable one side. Pretty sure they wok the same once set up

I would maybe add Lemond Poprad even tho they’re not made anymore, they were making them with discs for, what 5 years? tehre should be enough used ones out there that you could maybe find one.[/quote]

He may know the answers, but at least it’s fostering discussion on a slow day on a topic that’s more interesting than the rest of the drivel here.

Well, I have an idea of what the differences are, but I have no experience with either, so I was hoping someone could tell me whether the actuation of the BB5 was as good as the BB7, despite its shortcomings. Stuff like that. I also found that Tektro makes a super-dumpster looking road disc caliper called the Lyra.

thx for making this

This Traitor looks pretty fucking rad. I might change my tune on them.

No, they feel pretty much the same when set up properly. There’s really nothing wrong with BB5s until it comes time to adjust, but even then you get over it in 5 minutes.

voodoo wazoo

bc, would the rawland drakkar be a possible candidate? its more of a 29er but basically dub discs with track ends with clearance for 700x45c
http://www.rawlandcycles.com/store/index.php?strWebAction=item_detail&intItemID=3878

[quote=bonechilling]This Traitor looks pretty fucking rad. I might change my tune on them.

[/quote]

Good call. I saw that Traitor built up in the shop and it looks like a well-thought out, all-around good bike for someone trying to do the winter commuter thing while avoiding balloon tires (me).

trek portland.

The Genesis looks pretty rad

Vassago Fisticuff

Track dropouts with a dérailleur hangar. Could be a bit of a PITA.