Los Angeles doctor gets 5 years for injuring cyclists

in florida you can’t lose your residence.
but i thought this was an old story when i first saw it but it turns out this shit just keeps happening.

Assault with a deadly weapon normally carries 3-12 years in California. 5 years seems a bit mild.

he’s still white.

fucker should be put away for at least 10

CELL RAPE

ANAL PAIN

this should be sigg’d.

[quote=aerobear]I read the comments and it made me think that people in LA all thinkt he same. The people drive like jackasses and theyt hink cyclists are jackasses. The cyclists may or may not ride like jackasses and think all cars are jackasses.

Mostly it just made me hate LA a little more.[/quote]
the time i drove my sister’s car while i was visiting her in LA was the worst time i have ever spent in a car. people drive like idiots out there.

[quote=dayvan cowboy][quote=aerobear]I read the comments and it made me think that people in LA all thinkt he same. The people drive like jackasses and theyt hink cyclists are jackasses. The cyclists may or may not ride like jackasses and think all cars are jackasses.

Mostly it just made me hate LA a little more.[/quote]
the time i drove my sister’s car while i was visiting her in LA was the worst time i have ever spent in a car. people drive like idiots out there.[/quote]
They’re not as stupid as people in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, or a multitude of other places in between SF and LA in California. They drive fast, but they’re not any stupider. At least they know how to use turn signals…

This. I hate all things LA, but I prefer LA driving to SF driving. Motherfuckers here drive slow as shit, tailgate people, never use a turn signal, and get hella pissed when people change lanes in front of them. Also rubber-necking like hell. People in LA are so fucking self-absorbed they don’t see shit on the freeways and they’re damn sure not going to slow down for it.

I grew up in the Bay Area, and have spent countless hours behind the wheel in SF, LA, Santa Cruz, Oakland, all over California. But I can safely say after 6.5 years in Seattle that Seattle has some of the shittiest drivers around. Seattle is a haven for suck-ass drivers and entitled bitches who don’t give a lick about bicyclers. The traffic may not be as dense, the number of idiot drivers per capita in this city is truly astounding. For a city with such a strong reputation for being bicycle friendly, Seattle needs a strong kick in the balls in this department.

rhode island.

Excessive? He tried to kill two people with a deadly weapon, his car. The cyclists were traveling 30mph, the speed limit on the residential street (Mandeville Canyon) they were riding on. The guy did the same thing to two other cyclists a couple months before.

I’m not sure 5 years is enough, but it’s better than nothing.[/quote]
Look, we both know that if he really wanted to kill them he would have slammed it into reverse, driven over them and then hit them once more as he was leaving the scene.

I’m not saying I will have to cry myself to sleep tonight over this… he deserved to go to jail. I just think this sentence seems to be on the harsh side. Of course the US has absurdly high incarceration rates anyway, so maybe this doesn’t stand out that much over there.
(US: 686 people per 100,000 inhabitants in jail, France 85, Germany 95, UK 139, Japan 48… the US has the highest rates in the world, and probably about 4 to 5 times the average of the rest of the develeoped world.)[/quote]

Blah blah blah I’m from Europe and we’re better blah blah blah. The incarceration rate is not the topic at hand. STFU.[/quote]

How is the incarceration rate not the topic when we are talking about the length of the jail term a given crime usually carries?

The US jails people a lot longer so people who live there and grew up in that situation find a 5-year jail sentence acceptable for less severe crimes than a European would. Big fucking deal, don’t get your panties in a bunch.

assaulting people with a car is a serious crime
those cyclists could have easily been killed
5 years is not too long

now people who are in jail for 5 years in the US for possesion of weed that is a harsh sentence
but assault with a deadly weapon…5 years is not harsh

imagine if he would tried to run over a pedestrian
the sentence would have been a lot more harsh
because in the US there is a stigma for cyclists
and we have a car culture
everyone is a pedestrian so everyone could relate to being run over

hitting a cyclist though is considered a vehicle where the cyclist can be at fault
a pedestrian always has right of way (in ohio)

who was at fault has already been decided
the point is a cyclist has teh same amount of protection as a pedestrian
intentionally trying to hit one with a car is essentially the same thing

new thread : get me into the US penal system

The doctor’s father pleaded with the judge for clemency for his son because he was “influential in improving trauma care throughout the county …”

Did no one else find this ironic?

[quote=Paramount]The doctor’s father pleaded with the judge for clemency for his son because he was “influential in improving trauma care throughout the county …”

Did no one else find this ironic?[/quote]

Perhaps he was trying to apply a marketing principle by creating customers. Or perhaps he is just a douche.

http://digg.com/people/Doctor_Gets_5_Yrs_in_Jail_for_Attacking_Bicyclists_with_Car

What amuses me the most is the motorists all commenting about who’s “paying for the roads” when they don’t realize how strongly subsidized automobile use is in this country. Automobiles come with a tremendous cost to society little of which is reflected in the price of operating one.