Mavic Zap!

Some fellow poor decision makers threw money at it with me.

this owns. maybe someone could machine at new piece that converts it to 11-12speed?

1 Like

I want someone to put the Zap on their Sundeal. Please.

Is this just derailleurs or did it come with shifters.

Forget it, I see that they are just little buttons

3 Likes

I can’t figure out how to take it all apart yet, but I have some ideas. It would be a lot of fancy machining to make a new slider piece

Will a clydesdale suffice?

2 Likes

They really missed an opportunity by not calling it mavic magic. Zap is pretty good tho.

1 Like

cant wait for the shift assessments to see how smooth it is. curious how much parasitic drag there is from the jockey wheel mech

I feel no parasitic drag, the shifts are clean and quick but with a delay if that makes sense. Since my pedaling action is forcing the dangler to move the chain it shifts pretty quick after the pin and teeth line up, but that delay depends on how fast you’re pedaling and where in the stroke you click the clicker.

7 Likes

Might get better performance with Monster Cables

8 Likes

I wonder if a different 3D printed rack would allow it to shift 11s

2 Likes

has everyone bought these? i still can’t but i want to get my old boss to, whether he wants to or not

1 Like

i kind of want a set for the hipster cred but i have no bike to put it on

1 Like

It’s the big long divots in the rectangular arm that dictate the position of the dangler when it’s in a gear and the saw tooth jawns are designed to push it exactly one click. It would be a complete redesign of the dangler, including the cam drive behind the top pulley to get it to shift more gears.

You can close off the last click to make it shift 7 with just the turn of a screw driver though. I realized I forgot a bunch of little details like that in the first video, I’ll try to address them in the next one.

Anything else I should include in the next video? I’ll also show it shifting through the gears. If someone would sell me a cheap action camera I could get get fancy with that on the bike too.

1 Like

Mavic Zap is the new Tachyon.
Get in on the ground floor.

3 Likes

so the delta between the min and max of the cam is the cog pitch, and the rack divots are also the cog pitch? this seems theoretically possible; the cam would get a little smaller and the rack might get a little longer

2 Likes

Not gonna lie and say I wasn’t tempted by this. Thankfully the Vitus that was listed locally was gone by the time this came up.

1 Like

sounds like it wasnt designed to scale up beyond 8 speeds. i guess one of those fancy cassette compatible IGH would still have this beating 1x though. bike dithering is truly a labor of love for hipster cred

1 Like

Toss an 8 speed cassette onto one of these. Now you get 24 speeds.

3 Likes

it definitely wasn’t designed to scale, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t hackable

The tighter gear spacing beyond 8 speeds might require a degree of precision that isn’t achievable with this design.

1 Like