Mixing Componentry.

How do you feel about mixing bike parts from varied origins of manufacturing? I’ve noticed some people are snobs about it.

Example: You have an Italian bike outfitted with Campy stuffs put a Shimano something or other on it.

I for one, could care less. If you like it and it makes your bike better suited to your riding, then good.

What do you fools think?

i for one, couldnt care less

If it works together, fuck it.

i have OCD. so, thisisnotanoptionever.

I could see if you have something vintage and collectible and you want it to preserve it, but if you’re going for modern performance you should use the best parts you can get regardless of branding.

I have a taiwanese frame with a british name. it has vintage italian cranks, an australian rear wheel and a french front wheel. i could give a damn. I think my bike looks better now than it would if i had just stuck with taiwanese components.

i put together a bike trying to get as many countries as passable represented. It may be my favorite ride.

Dont really care.

It doesn’t matter, but I like to use complete groups when possible.

My “NJS” bike is becoming less and less NJS as the months pass. It’s mostly American now.

[quote=“zombie”]It doesn’t matter, but I like to use complete groups when possible.

My “NJS” bike is becoming less and less NJS as the months pass. It’s mostly American now.[/quote]

like complete groups in terms of “all 105” or “all record” or like, groups that are entirely campy or shimano?

don’t care at all.

Besides preservation jobs and stuff that’s just incompatible, this isn’t something I think of at all.

In fact, I’ve quite enjoyed putting as many no-name or meaningless name parts on my winter bike. Y’know, like “dia compe” levers and stuff like that. If a part is cheap/free and won’t make a major performance difference in whatever application for which I’m using it, names matter not to me.

Respect to those who really take the time and effort to put together well thought-out and cohesive builds, though. Just not my thing.

I’ve always contemplated building an all italian bike, ultimately its too much work.

Though I have no rational reasoning behind it, I like to use components from the same group if possible. Mostly it’s about having a sense of completeness. Though the bike I’m building now has DA cranks, 600 mechs, 105 brakes, and cane-creek levers. It should work well, but I’m a little weirded out by it.

[quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“zombie”]It doesn’t matter, but I like to use complete groups when possible.

My “NJS” bike is becoming less and less NJS as the months pass. It’s mostly American now.[/quote]

like complete groups in terms of “all 105” or “all record” or like, groups that are entirely campy or shimano?[/quote]

Like my nice road bike is all DA, the bike I built my brother is all 105 and so on.

Mmm…

mixing componentry

Not a big deal for me, beyond compatibility. I would like to get some 8-speed Campagnolo shifters for the Cannondale. I just like how they feel.

my road bike is all campy c record and cinelli except teh headset is suntour and pedals are mks
but the yamaguchi is japanese italian american
i don’t really care about matching stuff though unless its a compatibility issue

Your bike will implode

It impresses me when other people do it. Not for me, though.