MOAR Avid Juicy 3 Halp PLZ

I was working on installing juicy 3’s yesterday, and the rear caliper barely slips over the rotor. I took the caliper apart to try to figure out how to widen it, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it. Do I just have to wear the pads down a ton? Halp plz.

Gently pry the pads apart with a screwdriver or other pry thingy…

Also never squeeze the lever with the wheel out or you’ll have to do this again.

(ask me how I know)

[quote=DDYTDY]Gently pry the pads apart with a screwdriver or other pry thingy…

Also never squeeze the lever with the wheel out or you’ll have to do this again.

(ask me how I know)[/quote]
How do you know? Are you sure this won’t fuck up the mechanism? I really don’t want to break them.

Cuz I been there…

The pistons push out and retract a set amount to clear the rotor. If the rotors not there the pistons go all the way out and retract but not enough to to get the wheel/rotor back in. So you have to push the pistons back in. with a pry thingy… gently so you don’t mar the pads…

yeah, just pry them apart.

shoulda gone with the juicy 5’s

still pretty good brakes…
what’s the bike they’re going on?

[quote=snails]shoulda gone with the juicy 5’s

still pretty good brakes…
what’s the bike they’re going on?[/quote]
I barely had enough $$$ for the 3’s. They’re going on a Karate Monkey that may or may not be too big for me.

I would love to go hydraulic. Would you all say they are worth it?

Idonknow?
I like my BB-7’s and my Juicy 3’s about the same. Never tried anything else though.

I have BB5s and I am starting to get sick of how often I have to pull readjust the friggan tension. I may need new pads, but brake fade this last weekend was attrocious. All of a sudden I was pulling to the bars and not locking (not that you should but its nice to have that crisp feeling)

I love my hydraulics and they are pretty low maintenance…although I must admit that I have yet to do much riding where I currently live (DC) where I really felt glad that I was riding my Hayes hydraulics and not my BB7s. They are a lot of fun, but usually not worth the price for most people.

Then again, I buy a lot of bike stuff that isn’t necessarily “worth the price”…

I’m eagerly awaiting hydraulic drop bar levers so I can break those, too.

the only time i honestly feel and appreciate the difference in hydraulic brakes is when i do more DH oriented riding… the ease and feel of good hydraulics is amazing. the extra weight, effort and pain to work on? ehhh…

what would they go on dino?

Being new to the world of hydraulic brakes, I happened to leak most of the fluid and now I need to have one of the brakes bled. I can either pay 25 to have it done at the shop, or I can buy an avid bleed kit for 45ish. What should I do. Could I buy a Hayes/Shimano/Magura/Tektro/Hope/Formula kit instead (all of which I think are cheaper)? I need some good advice.

Does one bleed hydraulic bicycle brakes in the same way one bleeds hydraulic automotive brakes?

burmp

I haven’t bleed my own(bicycle) brakes but I saw it done once. Just like bleeding any car brakes or a hydraulic clutch.

Jordan, you should probably just pay a shop to do it. $45 is a fair price for the kit, but without the know-how, there’s a real possibility that you’ll end up back where you started. On the other hand, it if it’s worth your time and you want to gain the knowledge, then maybe it’s worth it to you.

$25 is a pretty good deal, and if you’re a regular customer of the shop, maybe they’ll squeeze the bleed in before the other repairs and you can ride sooner.

As you now know, don’t ever, ever, ever squeeze a hydraulic disc brake without a wheel in. Despite our imploring them to take great care, this is probably the #1 problem customer’s have with disc brakes. At least once a week, a mechanic spends a half an hour jamming a screwdriver into a caliper spreading the pads apart.

thanks bc