nail polish remover + grips

gasoline great idea, acetone fucks grips up

my head hurts

What about cork grips? I’m thinking hairspray?

One can use Super 77 adhesive. In the motorcycle world, there’s grip glue. Scott grip stick is a popular brand and can be found at a chain like Cycle Gear for <$3. Some folks also use Gorilla Glue, though I’ve never tried it. I’m about to.

I can’t believe that people have so much trouble installing grips. IT’S NOT THAT HARD PEOPLE.

gorilla glue is a HORRIBLE idea.
it expands into a foam, and will NEVER EVER EVER come off.
don’t do it.

[quote=“thehappyrobot”]gorilla glue is a HORRIBLE idea.
it expands into a foam, and will NEVER EVER EVER come off.
don’t do it.[/quote]

I’m familiar with the properties. Motocross guys seem to think it works well. I’m curious.

motocross guys get concussions like every weekend, too.
i don;t know that i’d trust their advice.

i must be retarded then. i always have problems with track grips, because im too impatient to wait for hairspray or water etc… to dry (no compressor at home), so i wind up trying to do it with nothing, or searching for fast drying options, such as nail polish remover, which isn’t 100% acetone. hasnt fucked the grips up yet… we’ll see.

how do you put them on?

Stupidest op ever.

[quote=“thehappyrobot”]motocross guys get concussions like every weekend, too.
i don;t know that i’d trust their advice.[/quote]

Hah! I certainly wouldn’t trust their advice. The risk of trying it is pretty low however. I’ve a cheap set of truvativ risers I don’t care about and a set of Ourys are six bucks or so.

I use clear spray paint. Also, acetone works if I’m out of clear paint. I used honey or milk as a kid, works but it’s messy.

I use dish soap. It takes a bit to dry but it works great.

I would just use an air compressor at my LBS.

Gorilla glue is curing. Incidentally, the residue comes off easily with acetone.

Ok, I used gorilla glue on some Ourys a couple days ago. I didn’t get the glue thoroughly spread out in one of the grips so I peeled it off to re-glue it. I would say that the gorilla glue works really well. The grip peeled off with a little bit of effort and was undamaged. The cured glue flaked off the grips easily. Most of the cured glue that was left on the handle bars could be scratched off with a finger nail. The remaining residue cleaned up quickly with a little acetone. While the grip was glued down, it held really well.

I guess those brain-damaged motocross dudes were right.