nerdy and dull bike plans/dithering thrad 2016

I want to get an old 80s univega/nishiki/raleigh/what ever the fuck to commute to and fro work with, and keep it locked to a pole outside my apartment. Am I a terrible person? (TC: I already have 4 bikes)

I would definitely look into the chainline question before going down this road.[/quote]

Front hub was the way to go for 120mm spaced sw8 fixies.[/quote]

yah but this is late 80s/90s mtb, I’ll keep it SS unless I find a rear in someones parts bin, thanks for the tips tho all.

I’d like to sort out the bar/stem position and find something I can ride for hours
Then find time to ride for hours

sounds perfect.

My bike plans for the year:

Road bike stays the same.

Gonna have fun on the track bike for another season then sell it probably.

Cross Check…I dunno. I think I need a smaller frame. Thinking about selling my 56 and getting a 54…or maybe a Black Mountain. Needs a new freehub, and gears. I have a bunch of different racks and bags to try on this bike too. Definitely sold on Renegade 1.8s though. Might try a 1.95 on the front for a bit.

Need to build the Rawland or sell it.

MTB is in the mail. Install dropper, buy hydration pack finally.

Organize parts/sell stuff.

2016 plans:

sell sw8 Mercian I don’t ride
build Davidson finally
finish new tubs for cross biek actually in time for cross season

Get other things I’m not using the fuck out of here.

Put real hubs into the Paragon+ wheels. 6 engagement points is getting old.

Plans, real: use rebate check to fund new 700c wheels. Replace fenders. Buy some good tires for summer. Ride on three (3) overnights. Also get hoopty bars for fambike.

Plans, dream: get a 32h Shimano dynohub, a pair of turd-city VO 650b rims, and have cyclefab put on some canti braze-ones & low rider eyelets, paint the fucker a nice purple, buy some good v-brakes and those hideous v-brake drop levers, get some mid range plump rubber and take the fucker on more than 3 overnights.

Taking apart 700c wheels for grinder. Building 2nd set of 650B jawns. Otherwise pretty committed to no major changes to the fleet this year. Feels good actually.

Rob English is building me a third bike and I’m getting rid of the others with the exception of the Herse.

I came to the realization that the bikes he built for me are the only ones I ride by choice. The others only occasionally get ridden when I’ve had mechanicals or flats that I’m too lazy to change.

This one will be able to take up to 35 mm tires, SRAM wireless, and rim brakes. Although I assume I can’t talk about it, a manufacturer of ultralight an very effective rim brakes is designing a direct-mount long-reach rim brake. I thought briefly about hydraulic discs but I think the key to keeping me riding is having a bike that requires minimal fucking with. I’ve never been happy with discs from that standpoint.

I’m done with my bike hobbyist days–I just want to ride and not mess around with mechanical stuff.

Additional nerdy bike plan: I need a new camera so I can get the blog moving again. I had so many great routes and rides last year and I never posted them because my cell takes crap pictures.

You have two English bikes? I thought you had just one. Post pics in pyb if you don’t mind.

Yeah I have a 700c (only fits 25 mm) and a 650B with FUCKING mechanical discs. I have 15k miles on the 700c bike and about 7-8k on the 650B bike. For comparison I only have about 1-2k on all my other bikes combined.

I’ve had a number of really great bikes but these two are absolutely amazing. Aside from the discs on the 650B.

Original beauty shot

And as it is currently set up.

And 650B mobile.

Holy fuck, those seat stays! What’s your blog?

I’m dithering on selling my 56 Cross Check f/f and buying a 54 Double Cross frame.

I have a Ritchey crabon canti fork that I can use with it.

Pros, probably fit a lil better, more standover, not a Surly?, I like the color, lighter.

Cons, can’t fit the tires I really want in the rear, no more single speeding (which I really enjoy), jumping stuff all the time is probably a bad idea on a carbon fork?

Hopefully it’s not obnoxious.

You need to go back a bit to find the good rides, I was remiss in posting them this past year because of the house buying etc

Those bikes are fucking amazing ferg.

Thanks…they really are. Rob seriously has the magic.

how are those clavicula cranks? I haven’t heard anything outside of weenie world

I haven’t had any problems with them at all.

wow, tarck’s ballinest bikes!