nerdy and dull bike plans/dithering thrad 2016

Dithers for 2016:

fix up my xcheck for commuting/ shit weather/ lockup at work
maybe think about putting fenders on my 57mm reach brodie roadie. I like the stampede passes on it so much but they leave no room for fenders, i want to rando on it, and naturally it might rain.

Finish wifebike frame as soon as garage is above freezing.
Get wifeposition finally dialed.
Overhaul some parts on the frame jig.
Build new hamduro v2 with dickbrakes.
If time: new mtb frame.
(and/or if time and good overstock closeouts on wheels and cranks: fatbike frame)
Then the big one: Tandem frame.

get a soma smoothie es frame, combine with champs élysées fork. use as many parts bin parts as possible to get it off the ground then eventually get a proper rack, tubeless wheelset, and move my iq cyo over from
my grand randonneur when the iq x is available. then replace grand randonneur with it’s major if all goes well. hopefully the Ursa Major materializes and hopefully not long after my v rare rim brake belgium pluses wear through

Pay for Elephant
Build Elephant
Ride Elephant

Also, sell the Allez and my Unit, since I never ride either anymore, and I can easily replace them. Ride the Yella Fella (the Trek 360).

building a bike designed for kentucky and painting it in my clown vomit style.

I enjoy the turpenvom

So many things, so few of them interesting:
-take an inch off the Broakland’s headtube (it has about 40mm exposed above the top tube, almost as if they expected it to get a trim…). Have Montano do that, as I’m confident that I can really fuck a frame up with a hacksaw if I tried it myself. Recable the Broakland, using the Shimano SP41 teflon stuff again unless there’s something better on the market. Try Fizik Volta saddle, maybe an upside down carbon fiber taco shell is a good thing to sit on? Let us find out.
-Keep fiddling with the tire / fender / frame interfaces on the Gunnar, see how much tire I can get in there without jamming the fender up every time I ride through leaves and twigs. Replace the bar and stem, they are four years old, and have bravely held up to a lot of fast, bumpy descents. Might be paranoia on my part, but better safe than sorry. Probably do Arx-Rotundo again, seems like a solid combo for me.
-Do nothing to my Crosscheck. It is indestructible and eternal. I suspect that, forgotten in some attic, is a portrait of my Crosscheck bearing all the signs of five years of wear and tear.
-Keep futzing with luggage and lighting on the Xtracycle, figure out how to optimize fit and contact points on a bike shared by people with a 13" height difference. Hold robust internal debate on the meaning of the word “optimize”.
-continue to buy cheap usb rechargable lights, continually be frustrated that they don’t work that well, totally fail to build a dynamo wheel /lighting setup for any of my bikes.

Shimano Polymer coated cables for all the things.

I want to strip all the parts from my too-small Pugsley, sell the frameset and wheels and replace them with:

and

and

[quote=Wintage Townie]
Shimano Polymer coated cables for all the things.[/quote]

That’s what I’m using now, it’s pretty great. Polymer coated cabling + improved front derailleur shape = supernaturally good front shifts with 6800. Seems to help with good braking and rear shifts too, but they really knocked it out of the park on the front.

Yeah, I use them on my Campy bikes. Just grind the heads down so they fit. It turns all shifting into gold.

The Shimano poly cables don’t require lube, correct? Anyone running them with full-length housing?

NFE should arrive in the next day or two, so first thing is to build that up.
Then take dynamo wheelset and any other good bits off old commuter, then sell.
Transfer good bits from old commuter to wiefbiek.
Sell everything except roadie and NFE.

Spent too much money on bikes last year, but I’m really stoked with the bikes so yolo no regrets.

2016 = not buying anything besides minor parts and consumables. Even though the mechanical discs on the elephant annoy me all the time, I will let my hatred brew for another year before making any changes.

[quote=Rusty Piton]I want to strip all the parts from my too-small Pugsley, sell the frameset and wheels and replace them with:

and

and
[/quote]

If you don’t want to upgrade the wheels, look around for a 9zero7 offset frame. They’re still out there! But new wheels will probably be better.

[quote=buffoon]Spent too much money on bikes last year, but I’m really stoked with the bikes so yolo no regrets.

2016 = not buying anything besides minor parts and consumables. Even though the mechanical discs on the elephant annoy me all the time, I will let my hatred brew for another year before making any changes.[/quote]

I ditched hydros for mechanicals, because I have full confidence that all major makers will have tremendously improved offerings in a year or two. And their current offerings are already pretty rad.

is there anywhere to buy the new shimano cables in bulk?
for us mortals

Really considering swapping my Cross Check for a Wolverine.

I need brakes, and new wheels for this to happen.

But it’ll let me singlespeed and fit better and have better brakes and tubeless wheels.

I dunno.

I’m using the poly cables (6800 branded) with full length SP-41 on my NFE with 5700 levers. I haven’t ridden 11s Shimano, so I don’t have that benchmark to compare, but this shifts pretty great-- expected full-length housing might feel more sluggish than my roadbike with 5700 but it doesn’t with these.

Bike24 has the inner for 7euro each, seems like a good deal to me if you’re ordering other stuff (like the 650b G-one, which is in stock now!).

I also do this on a NFE; no regrets, I genuinely can’t imagine anything aside from roboshift that would improve shift quality