New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

We noticed you’ve been using your small chainring a lot. Would you like to try a free 30-day trial to Zwift?

21 Likes

You’d be able to verify that a used bike only had x,000 shifts performed by combing through a “public” ledger! And think of all the coins you could mint.

3 Likes

i’m in for the Shimano High-Intensity Training coin

9 Likes

I think if you diversified into artisanal machetes and alpaca nose warmers, you could really tap into a market that might potentially allow you to write semi-annual blog posts seeking further monetary support!

6 Likes

This would honestly be the anti-Rivendell. No lifestyle bullshit, just a simple store for quality parts that might get a little scarce. Like Problem Solvers, back in the day.

I’ll be your business partner.

4 Likes

:handshake:

I have some basic viability questions for a project like this. If it turns out that there’s enough NOS stuff to keep people happy for the next decade, then I don’t see a business like this being anything other than a huge cash hole. “why are people buying things off of eBay when they could use my weird little store instead?!?!?”

It’s one of those things where timing what you can do relative to what you can know would be sort of tricky.

1 Like

phase 1 is a certain amount of capital to specifically buy from eBay while it’s cheap and add to store stock by depleting individuals’ personal hoards, which then turns into larger margin once prices start going up

2 Likes

You know what’s becoming scarce? A goddamn 9-speed POLISHED brifter with the cable exiting out the side of the shifter mechanism! None of this smoke-and-mirrors hidden under the tape bullshit!! Someone needs to get this made NOW!!!

4 Likes

motion to change thread title to “old and scarce bike components”

10 Likes

yeah, I’m trying to figure out where/when to get a price break on big lots of things like optislik and fancier Jagwire cable kits.
I suspect that this stuff is all going to get remaindered over the next couple of years as everything above 105 is all electronic.

1 Like

Gonna get an electromagnetic pulse generator installed on the stumpjumper and drop everyone up the hilll

4 Likes

They just wouldn’t be able to shift anymore. They can still pedal.

What you want is an exploit that slams everyone else’s gear into 53x11. It would be the digital equivalent of hitting the downtube shifter.

2 Likes

EMP doping

2 Likes

We all laughed at those people making open source friction shifters out of aluminum cans, but we will all be casting our own danglers soon enough

6 Likes
1 Like

nah I’m still laughing at that

I’m gonna keep learning Python and possibly Kubernetes until I can run my derailleurs off of an Apple Newton lashed to my handlebars though

6 Likes

this was literally the Velo Orange business plan

it started with New Old Stock components, mostly imported in bulk from older shops in Europe

10 Likes

gonna tell my dead granpa’s ghost to sue their ass.

7 Likes