New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

Excellent news for the 26", 650c, and 650b rim brake dead-enders in my household.

4 Likes

Mine were Aeroheads. Not sure if they are still a thing.

do they still make the a23? that is the source of most of my woes with velocity.
there was the issue of the not-clearly-marked tubeless transition that lead to some rather unpleasant blowoffs at my old shop, and some extreme (by tubeless standards) tension drop issues
in that same time period i wrecked a rim by getting crashed out in a way that nobody landed on my rim but somehow a low speed low side wrecked a rim. this was all almost a decade ago though

I’ve got 10k km on a set of tubeless a23s with zero dramas. Maybe it’s just the luck of the draw.

3 Likes

There’s a trials guy who runs those with no issue. If it were to go wrong, seems like it would be then.

Rhynolite rims are very good, and cheap, is tubeless compatible the reason I’d upgrade to cliffs?

Yes. Build quality on the current cliffhanger is probably peak Velocity. Tubeless setup is really good and if you’re using rim brakes the machining is really well done.

One of my folks has a set we built for his vintage Stumpy and they are working our great.

Somewhat regretting using A23 on the Tachyon.

If they were 29", they would sell tens!

4 Likes

new cranks that come in different sizes (which, sure, but read on)

4 Likes

Oh my!

17 Likes

Pretty nice to be able to turn them into track cranks and back

1 Like

Cranks look really really cool, dig the modularity and all, but I’m not sure I understand the big jump in lengths. “Wide range of lengths” in terms of 135-175, but there are actually only 5 sizes, with 1cm jumps between them, which seems to defeat the idea of “providing for a wide array of fit needs”

1 Like

“3 sizes you usually cant get” would have been more informative

cool colors tho. that’s the only real reason to get fancy bike parts isn’t it

2 Likes

Yeah but most folks aren’t really gonna notice a jump smaller than half a cm and if you really want to change fit 10mm jumps are a great place to begin. This 2.5mm step size increase on stock cranks is pretty meaningless.

1 Like

You’re probably not wrong. But for someone, say like me, who rides 170 cranks, I have to change my fit (saddle height, setback, maybe even stem length) if I go to the 165 or 175 on offer.

Another bummer is that there’s not shimano/campy 4-bolt pattern that’s become industry standard. Who’s still making 5-bolt road rings?

3 Likes

saddle height maybe, but I bet you would adjust on everything else really quick.

1 Like
3 Likes

Wickwerks but everything is on sale….

I think praxis also does 5

But seriously, if you need something beyond 165-175 there are places to find it.

Who rides outside of that anyway? Seriously maybe 180 for some tall and 160 for some small folckx

My issue isn’t with the range, its the lack of options within that range. 135-175 sounds huge, but its only 5 actual lengths on offer

2 Likes

Gonna stick a pea under your saddle

7 Likes