Nü TAF ONLY.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/1985-otis-guy-road-bike-with-ld-stem/6836570787.html

7 Likes

Just browsing through my usual web shops, I bet these two would ride like a dream.

3 Likes

That Cougar is HOTT

2 Likes

Dang’ol yup.

ME-YOW!

1 Like

I owned a Basso Gap in that exact colorway! Mexico, I think they called it. Photos don’t do it justice, it’s way more intense in person.

1 Like

Phew, both are too big for me

7 Likes

I feel like the UCI should go back to the 80s and 90s and randomly un-ban some of the stuff that was banned back then. Just to see if people would use it. Like those saddles with the butt support.

Borken forearms be damned!

1 Like

Is that why these were made illegal? Someone broke their arms?

I don’t think drop-ins are illegal. I think folks just don’t see the point of them.

I don’ know of any stories specifically of broken arms, but if you hold a set you can definitely see it being a possibility. Maybe I’m just spreading bikerumor.

DQ: is there a golden age for vintage mtb style? Most retro mtb content I see seems to cut off around 1993, is there a reason for that, or is it just that it’s about a quarter century, which is around when people start thinking of consumer goods as retro rather than simply passe?

I’m starting to think about how to set up the 1990 stumpjumper I should be getting in the mail aaaaaany day now, and I’d be happy to take style tips here (and tech tips in the Dithering thread).

Depends how you’re going to go

John tomac or tinker Juarez

I’m working with a rigid mtb, probably with vbrakes. Seems like the period correct cutoff for me would be right around when the bike was made. I’m assuming that one would not want to put an ancient early mtb suspension fork on a bike like that - if they were even suspension corrected back then.

I think I’m probably going to wind up building a fairly normal bike with some fun anodized bits and some colorful cable housing.

Just for period correct reference, I had a '95 Stumpjumper M2 FS that came with XT cantis. The '96 came with v-brakes.

But don’t do cantis.

I see no appeal in building a period correct mtb, build it with as much cool shit as you can. 90’s glitz and colorways with modern brakes and tires

4 Likes

This is the stumpy that JimmytheFly is selling, and I’m buying some parts off of him because I trust that he knows what works with it.

I’ve had enough bikes with cantis to not want to mess with them unless necessary, so it’s going to have vbrakes.

I’m also going to be using it as an at most gentle city park trail bike, not some Red Bull ride-off-of-sheer-cliff bike, the components are going to reflect that.

I am curious about period correct mtb in general - is anyone out there arguing passionately for how great first gen RockShox forks are, the way that there are vintage road bike enthusiasts who swear that lugged frames ride better? Are the tech advances recent enough and good enough that this is not a thing yet?

I don’t entirely understand the question, but: No one is saying early forks were good, because they were not good. Usually elastomers that have rotted or bouncy coils that offered 50mm of suspension.

Personally, I’m 6’2" and I gave up on 26" wheels. I would rather an early rigid forked 29er that looks lame for practical purposes than an old school 26 for retro purposes. But that’s me.