Nü TAF ONLY.

this is what I was wondering about - I’m not looking to build a period correct machine, I was curious if there was a cult following for them. It’s like how people still do quill stems or cotton bar tape by choice.

I would never suggest trying to turn it into a rampage bike lol, but there’s big money thrown at building period correct 90s mtbs and I only think it’s justified in very limited cases

A 90s rockhopper should get some shimano v brakes, tioga powerblocks, and some cheapie fooker pedals. If you’re going on dirt, then whatever maxxis/schwalbe you can find in 26 (tho good luck on finding a set that doesn’t cost more than the bike)

Do not get an elastomer fork.

There is absolutely a cult following for vintage MTB stuff.

The late-90’s cutoff mostly relates to disc brakes and full suspension. But of course lots of early sus bikes and early disc stuff pops up, folks are pretty chill about it.

You won’t find people arguing that vintage would beat a current MTB in a race. But some folks genuinely prefer the ride, or the challenge, or the aesthetics of an old rigid bike to current MTBs, especially if their riding style does not demand something more advanced.

late 90’s is a little later than I’d’ve expected, but that makes sense. Most of my knowledge of this is pretty disorganized and comes from random tumblrs and message board threads.

the motivation for vintage mtb makes sense, it’s the same as road.

I went to high-school with a guy who (according to facebook) is still riding his carefully maintained '95 Trek Y frame. I’d mock him but this week he’s riding it around Moab with his wife and seven year old.

I’ve heard guys at the shop rave about the old Kleins, but then also lament that they all broke.

The mag 21 was a good fork but they will be looking pretty crusty by now. I recently sold mine and it worked as good as it ever did. The guy I sold it to recently sold his refurbed Klein Adroit? for $8000 NZ dollars, it was incredible. So yeah, people do throw money at them. @Secondspin on IG for the high end. 26inchlifestyle n IG for less spendy inspiration. Mine tend to be only semi-nuovo retro with parts that are in my bin already mostly.

Ah cool, those are going to help me think about styling this thing.
I was going to ask if anyone is doing cool neo-retro parts, but then I remembered: Paul

1 Like

My buddy still has this Basso, SSed as his townie.

I lied. That was his Colnago Master Olympic. His basso frame is hanging up in the corner.

14 Likes

Whoa, I showed sup the profile shot, but didnt see the rest. I mean, not back for an XC biek.

1 Like

This is cool, would ride, don’tcare whatanyone says

:colbert:

14 Likes
17 Likes

Oh shit
The bar has been raised

1 Like

cuz headtube extension?

6 Likes

Those long lugs make me think it’s a ti lugged carpet fiber thing

Hashtag carbon and steel. He’s had some photos of naked carbon versions previously:

But, this has motivated me to see what I could achieve with just a small airbrush and some neon acrylics. They’d have to be clear coated but it could be a fun exercise.

Got brakes bled, so new bike day for Agnes is official. Green was masked with rubber cement, tiger stripes with ripped masking tape. Old 13" hardrock frame, canti posts ground off, with cheap steel fork, and eBay blue ano parts.

23 Likes

Dope!