Outpost Richmond

Lots of cool stuff has been coming through the shop lately so I’m starting a thread about it.

This morning I got a call from some Aussie guy about building some wheels by Wednesday for the NAHBS show. I said sure bring it by…

A few hours later he shows up. He says check out this stuff and pulls out a THM Carbones brake caliper, THM fork, some Tune hubs, Tune rims and a PAIR of wheels built with AX Lightness rims and Tune hubs that came to 700 grams… for the PAIR. Most carbon rims weigh more than 300 grams and I was holding a front wheel that was 300 grams!

So tomorrow morning I am lacing a Tune singlespeed disc hub and a Tune front road hub up to 20 and 24 hole Xentis rims. Crazy.

Pics…

Tune hub laced to AX rim

AX rim

Xentis Schwarzbrenner rim I get to lace up

More light bits on top of our new display case

stupid light Tune SS hub

Oh and the VP of Shimano North America came by. Apparently he wanted to tell me how much BB30 and Sram sucks and how much cooler Shimano is. I actually started fucking with him trying to get him to go off message. He stuck to the party line like O’reilly.

He did say ALL carbon cranks including the Shimano ones have a lifespan of about 5 years if used daily.

He also had to make sure to mention that he has “hammered” with Lance on the ride for the roses.

Basically he was a dick.

those wheels are insane!

should have asked him what his problem was in italian.

awesome! thanks for sharing and making me very jealous. looking forward to more photos.

It’s phenomenal really, 700g for that wheelset? That collabo is lighter than Lightweights (1000g)!

In all honesty, does 300g of rotational mass make a substantial difference for anything else other than racing purposes?! I doubt it.

shimano aint no beer party sponsor for sure.

holy jesus. that is mind blowing.

VP of shimano NA looks like one of those creepy ancient triathletes who are fit as a fiddle and will live forever.

if you’re not riding them for racing purposes, you’re doing something horribly wrong.

Yeah… Sram wants to buy us beer and come chill. Shimano wants to be lame. Which group do you think I’m going to tell people to ride? Hmm…

And 700 gram wheels are not for going fast… they are for jerking off looking at your 11.345 pound bike you never ride.

In that last picture, the CBC jerseys caught my eye moreso than the bike.

[quote=walrus]holy jesus. that is mind blowing.

VP of shimano NA looks like one of those creepy ancient triathletes who are fit as a fiddle and will live forever.[/quote]

i met pete coors once. same deal. pretty sure those dudes are alien replacements.

yeah those pics just look like $$$$$$$$

cept shimano rep, fuck him.

what the fuck that guy looks like a cross between my dad and his best friend WHAT THE FUCK

Yeah… Sram wants to buy us beer and come chill. Shimano wants to be lame. Which group do you think I’m going to tell people to ride? Hmm…
[/quote]

Speaking as a guy who spends a bit of time at trade shows, what you need to do is show up when the Shimano guy is already drunk. Then run into him at the show on the following day and bring up all of the stupid shit he did when he was out at 1am.

That’s a fairly high profile day, dude. super cool. keep the random bling builds coming. Neat that you’ll probably see wheels you built in a ton of glammy photos and advertisements down the road.

Braden, what group should I ride? I want to touch those tune parts so badly. Unfortunately, I’ll never need or benefit from something like that.

700 gram wheels sound mildly terrifying. But I generally like my shit overbuilt, so what do I know?

On the other hand, it’s pretty fucking cool that we can build a 700g wheelset, even if it is just for looking at. Like that 10lb Panasonic steel track bike from the 70’s on Classic Rendezvous. These are exercises in “can we do this shit?” I approve of testing the limits, even for mostly academic purposes.

save a few grams and some $$$.
go with an M5 front hub

Yeah $$$?

[quote=GRHebear]save a few grams and some $$$.
go with an M5 front hub[/quote]

Tune is prettier.