Platforms wtf

well yea foot retention helps too. but i guess riding without foot retention could be just another skill. riding without brakes is dumb unless you know how to do it, then it’s not as dumb. so if you can proficiently operate a brakeless fixed gear without foot retention then i guess you have some sort of talent?

/thread

I disagree. I think that trying to operate a brakeless fixed gear without foot retention makes you a jackass. I don’t see it as a skill.

one could say riding a bicycle without brakes is jackass. iunno.

i’m not condoning no foot retention, just saying if you can do it then good for you.

[quote=“tx_what_it_do”]one could say riding a bicycle without brakes is jackass. iunno.

i’m not condoning no foot retention, just saying if you can do it then good for you.[/quote]

I getcha playurr.

i mean it could be a skill. unicycles dont have… well… anything.

it’s a skill but it’s also like riding around on a brakeless ss cause you have mastered removing your right foot and pressing on the back tire to stop the bike.

yea i was thinking about that. where the line is drawn between jackass and skill.

In my experience, very low gear ratio in the snow with a front brake and no foot retention so you can quickly put a foot down when necessary = not jackass.

This is the smartest post yet in this thread. I have a nice set of BMX pedals in my closet that have been waiting a long time for a really big snow.

I run clipless and two brakes and can always get a foot down in time when the snow fucks me up.

I’ve run bmx pedals a few times. Slowing down is sketchy, but where i really missed them was on any incline above 2%. Not being able to pull up kills probably 1/3 of your power on any hill if you’re pedaling properly.

That sounds ideal, if the shoes/boots are warm enough. But doesn’t pulling out more often like that (and in salty conditions) wear the cleats down prematurely?

Using platforms in extreme weather isn’t about getting your feet off the pedals when the snow fucks you up. Its about keeping your feet from freezing and not getting your cleats clogged with ice when its -10F.

That sounds ideal, if the shoes/boots are warm enough. But doesn’t pulling out more often like that (and in salty conditions) wear the cleats down prematurely?[/quote]

In the same way that riding lots of miles wear your tires down “prematurely.”

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a pair of boots like these for the winter, but I decided to just get some better regular boots and a pair of BMX pedals. That way I’ll have my clipless set-up, clips-and-straps setup, BMX pedal set-up, and I figure I could always get some P-P-P-POWER GRIPS if I start to miss that strapped-in feeling on the BMX pedals.

Hadn’t even thought of the cleats and/or pedals freezing on me. Yikes.

lol @ the endless foot retention debate. Everyone has their own method for dealing with their own particular riding conditions. As long as it works and it’s safe.