post pics of your rack itt

Rack made by a guy here in Helsinki, he’s made plenty of these esp. for the bike messengers. I recently bought one and tried in on my tarck bike but it messed the steering up way too much and I had to take it off right away.

Kate, I love pics of your hot rack

I’ve found that though a loaded front rack does lead to some wacky handling, It’s nothing that you can’t compensate for once you feel it out for a minute or two.

This. The one circumstance that I find it gets really loopy is when you’re approaching a stop light on a bumpyish road. Slowing down, added with unstable ground can be tricky…butchoo just gotta get outta dem pedals in case anything goes wrong, ya heard?

Nate posted this.

But, I do really like that basket

put longer rake fork on track bike. hello rackistan.

This. The one circumstance that I find it gets really loopy is when you’re approaching a stop light on a bumpyish road. Slowing down, added with unstable ground can be tricky…butchoo just gotta get outta dem pedals in case anything goes wrong, ya heard?[/quote]
I agree with this to a degree, but when I did this:

I had to exert pretty great effort to stay stable at slow speeds, which I did, but it still sorta sucked.

Now I do somethin’g like this:

and things are much more stable and enjoyable.

There’s also a big difference between baskets attached to bike racks, like Elderberry has, and the stand-alone kind like Wald sells. The stays on the Wald are pretty thin, and the basket will tend to wobble from side to side when heavily loaded. Bike racks are so beefy and attached so firmly to the fork that this is rarely an issue. Your zip tires are going to break before you get the same kind of shimmy.

Truth. Probably why rivendell only sells stand-alone baskets without stays or bar clamps for the purpose of attaching to Mark’s or M12-type racks.
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bags_and_racks?a=1&page=3#product=20-102

[quote=mailer]

that’s crazy. i’d hate how unbalanced the weight was.[/quote]

it’s not really that bad. i put weight first on the side that is opposite of hte pedal i have down when i coast standing up.
in the saddle it’s not really a big deal. out of the saddle pedaling i feel the weight a little bit so i just dont move the bike around much…a nice easy standing pedal stroke, little swaying.

Also, accelerating is a bit weird with anything that weighs as much as a 12 pack or more. Which kinda sucks because I bet about 75% of my racks loads are 12 pack slangin.

tubus cosmo. been waiting on carradice supa-cees to be shipped out (birthday present from my parents)

bonus photo of fredtastic reflecto patches:

Nice Tubus, Stever. That Casseroll is 700c, right?
I’m going to get a Cargo, but I’m considering getting a 26" to fit on a 700c frame because it seems like Tubus leaves quite a bit of room above the wheel, and I prefer rack loads to be nice and low. Based upon the specs, it seems like a 26" should work fine.

Unless he’s done a wheelset swap, that Casseroll is 700c. And Tubus really does leave a lot of space there.

The only time I really miss the space below my rack is when I have to loop a bungee/strap/whatever all the way around the rack. But usually I can find a way around that.

yeah 700c; just looks a bit wack with sloping TT and oversized HT

i probably could’ve mounted it a touch lower but my fender mount and dual piv got in the way

[quote=LADY GAGGIA]

tubus cosmo. been waiting on carradice supa-cees to be shipped out (birthday present from my parents)

bonus photo of fredtastic reflecto patches:

[/quote]

Your casseroll is looking fine fine.

I’ve always really liked that ginger ale color. Teh tubus is a nice, classy touch on an already nice, classy ride.

thankyou men of esteemed opinion*!

edit: just noticed how skungey my rear brake is looking. there are salmon koolstops hiding under that grime

*no bias here