Post Up Your Former/Destroyed Bikes.

Never killed a frame but this happened when I got hit.

Fork and crank took the impact which basically saved me from a broken leg. I’m pretty fucking lucky, I could’ve easily been killed.

What happened to the cranks?

The BB spindle was snapped clean. The cranks, as far as I can tell, are fine.

Good deal, how/where did you get hit?

[quote=“stever”]

old aussie track bike off ebay, made by wayne roberts in SA, apparently

later that day, after a car blew through a stop sign

[/quote]

hey i remember a thread on BF where some guy sgave you shit about riding with no brakes as a newb or some shit…

i’ve never destroyed a road frame.
a few bmx frames is it.
i sold a faggin to some dude and stressed that he put a brake on the bike. he iddn’t. a few weeks later i saw the frame and fork in the LBS with buckled top and downtubes. i ran into the back of a car. dummy.

i almost destroyed a bob jackson track frame though. i changed lanes real quick in traffic. i was behind a big truck that was just a huge slow blind spot. well i shot around him to the lane right of him only to see that some dumbass in a big big truck…like 5ton moving truck big was just stopped in the lane because someone in the parking spaces on the side of the street opened their car door and he smashed it. so he just stopped in the middle of the road and i was hauling ass, a little downhill with only about 25yards to stop from about 20mph. i squeezed through some crazy gap of front fender of the truck i originally passed. my left leg rubbed his fender and i used my hand to balance me while i smooshed through the gap…scared the shit outta me…i kept on riding.

I was. You did. You were right.

On the note of killing bikes, I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to use a nice/rare bike as a commuter again. I can’t justify putting a irreplaceable bike in that position. After I destroyed the Daccordi, I wrote to Andy from Fyxomatosis who I had bought it from. At the time i was more upset about losing the frame and I apologized to him for not taking better care of it. The only time I cried in the hospital was when I was describing to my mom the moment that I turned my head and saw the kink in the seat tube while I was still laying in the street (the memory still pulls at me now). I turned my head and looked the other way until the ambulance got there because I couldn’t stand to see the broken frame again. My back and the cuts were all something I could joke about, but whenever someone mentioned the bike I would just get really quiet.

I feel fear every time I ride my faggin in traffic. There aren’t too many of those in the world.
Skin grows back and bones mend but rare vintage frames never heal.

I miss my red Bianchi that thing was a basher and a lockup bike.

only thing i’ve ever done is busted wheels in crashes. One when I was 15 or so mountain biking(frame and everything else is fine, but stopped riding bikes for a few years when that wheel was trashed. Other time i was going to fast to stay in my lane at this sharp at the bottom of a hill on my campus and had to try and jump the curb to avoid hitting a car, trashed the rim.

My first conversion failed at the headtube/downtube lug. there wasn’t enough brass in there so it just started coming apart.

Someone backed over my first road bike (a bridgestone) with a 4runner, right over the rear hub. It had been lying half in my friends lawn half in his driveway for about 5 minutes and this guy backed into the driveway to make a 3 point turn. The axle snapped in half, wheel taco’d, derailleur crushed and the seatstays were bent. I had the frame cold set and rode it for a few weeks until i noticed one of the chainstays had cracked. I had a local framebuilder braze in a new chainstay, but after a few months of riding the seatstay caps started showing some hairline cracks, so I retired the thing.

No grizzly carnage situations though, even though I’ve crashed/been hit plenty of times.

haha yeah i think it was rather warranted- i was going way too fast in relation to my stopping power.

I get a weird sort of satisfaction from crashing bikes badly enough to total them. It’s completely outweighed by the financial aspects though.
:colbert:

Yeah I’m not too hot on riding the Gios in traffic. It’s not ultra rare but it’s become pretty special to me. I kind of hate how much I can love a bike. :colbert:

[quote=“stever”]

old aussie track bike off ebay, made by wayne roberts in SA, apparently

later that day, after a car blew through a stop sign

[/quote]

what rims are those?

rear is a mavic mach2 cd2, front is an araya aero 4, both tubs

i think i have an araya clincher just like that, the stickers are long gone except for the ‘super hard anodized’ on the rear. i’m just trying to find out what mine are.

tarck is about near-death experiences

I have a Sansin Pro Training rear hub laced to an Araya hoop but I have no idea what araya it is. I need to take a picture and have Tarck ID it for me.

yeah, mine has super hard ano on it too. the two rims look next-to-fucking identical; at first i thought someone just whacked different stickers on one of them

Not mine, but my boss’.

A skateboarder was going the wrong way down the hill in Prospect Park. My boss went to his right and shouted (going right) and this dude went right into his path, and boom. No major injuries, my boss is getting a couple stitches in his ankle, but that’s it. We were probably going 20-22mph. What a sound that carbon breaking made.