pressure me into buying a chris king bottom bracket

other than my douche’ness being amplified, should i get a chris king bottom bracket? it seems like a more thrifty version of other non oem out-board bearing bottom brackets, but $130+ still hurts the wallet. im slowly building my road bike for next season and i figured i would look into it as a decent upgrade.

the ability to repack the grease is pretty awesome, but it seems like it would worth it to fork out the extra cash for the black box ceramic bottom bracket.

WHAT CHU’ THANK?

I would rather have the CK bottom bracket than the ceramic. Serviceability > perceived smoothness. Plus, the Cannondale rep told us the other day that ceramic bearings, in his words, “suck.” I doubt either will make you ride faster or save appreciable wattage.

BUT it might be cheaper to just buy a less expensive bottom bracket and replace it when it wears out. You will most likely have moved on to different cranks or BB30 or something else before you have gone through enough stock BBs to add up to a CK or ceramic BB.

Stick with the OEM cups for sure.

Maybe buy fancier aftermarket bearings when the OEM ones wear out.

[quote=blasdelf]Stick with the OEM cups for sure.

Maybe buy fancier aftermarket bearings when the OEM ones wear out.[/quote]

I told brent I wanted sram omniums for next year. rode them for a month this year and liked them, then had to give them back to molly and use my suginos, and kinda missed them. He pointed out that with a king BB theyd probably be the best track cranks so might go that route. Plus I could EP a king bb so that the $$ wouldn’t hurt so much.

thats what i was thinking too. 'tanks gaiis

Just fuckin’ buy it.

Like every other “X me into…” thread could be solved on the first reply with a good “HTFU”.

GXP is pretty decent to me. if youu going all out, then go for the king

1. go to bike shop
  2. buy King headset

Easy!

have i mentioned my idea for knock off CHRIS KANG parts? i got an inside guy scopin on the operation and a couple pms sent to my erowit homiez

[quote=Gnarshred]1) go to bike shop
2) buy King bottom bracket

Easy![/quote]

rtfm

I don’t know if I fucked up the installation but I seem to have trashed, pitted bearings in my GXP.

king bb’s are nice, but the nermal onez seem to work fine for like 15 bucks. so unless you have a king pro deal, might not be worth it. That being said, I’m buying a king BB thru prodeal.

[quote=Gnarshred]1) go to bike shop
2) buy King headset

Easy![/quote]
except he isnt looking for a chris king headset?

?

aw snap… hook it up with the prodeal

This bottom bracket is totally unnecessary. The first generation of outboard bearings are still out there with thousands of miles on them, chugging along. When they do wear out, replacement is extremely cheap and easy. If you don’t feel like throwing the cups and bearings away, as Shimano and the rest would have you do, popping the seals off and putting in the new bearings is easy enough. As with other Chris King parts, it is needlessly overbuilt and the cheaper, mass produced alternatives perform the job equally well or better.

[quote=-s][quote=Gnarshred]1) go to bike shop
2) buy King headset

Easy![/quote]
except he isnt looking for a chris king headset?[/quote]

Goddamnit. This is even worse coming from fucking Solmoron.

[quote=Gnarshred][quote=-s][quote=Gnarshred]1) go to bike shop
2) buy King headset

Easy![/quote]
except he isnt looking for a chris king headset?[/quote]

Goddamnit. This is even worse coming from fucking Solmoron.[/quote]

hy@bigbaby.