Pro Cycling

Do we already have a thread for this?

Been excited to see Theo Bos go up against Cavendish. Didn’t really happen last year because of Bos’ suspension. Well:

Bos beats Cav’ in Almería

Now I’m interested to see if Bos can hold on once Cavendish has some of his form back.

^ pretty damn happy about that

and hows that k-b-k race yesterday…only 26 finishers…sounds tuuufffffffffff

Not that KBK is not a tough race but often in these early season semi-classics most of the riders will drop out early once a break goes or a selection is made. Many use this race merely as test of form for the coming major spring classics.

It is pretty crazy to think about how that some guys just use something like this as a training race while others are in it to win it.

HA, I just found out yesterday about Bos switching to road. I guess his suspension was effective. Anyway, I’m a total Cav fanboy but I fucking love that he has some competition now, and it happens to be Bos. I’m going to request most of the classics days(milan san remo, paris roubaix, etc) off of work this year so I can actually watch them live-ish.

Where does one watch the classics?
Universal Sports or whatever that’s called?

Yeah, or Versus.

has universal released any tv schedule yet for this year? I havent seen one.

versus

online streams. cyclingfans.com or steephill.tv i doubt we’ll get same day coverage for the classics, maybe the ronde de vlaanderan and paris-roubaix, but nothing else.

Flecha’s win was awesome. Well deserved by a real class act and tough guy, who happened to be one of my favorites coming in. He said he dedicated his victory to VDB in a post-race interview.

It was sweet to see local boy Dominique Rollin come in 5th at kbk too. Sure none of the big guns gave it much effort (except Thor before he saw he wasn’t gonna make it) but it was still a great race to watch and a typical belgian war of attrition.

Welcome back, Jacques!

I’m also a total Cavendish fan boy. I’m hoping he does well this season, but I’d also like to see him face some competition.

I don’t know that I’d call the suspension “effective”. It was a pretty sad set of circumstances for everyone involved and a real bummer for that to happen to Bos in his debut season. Based on what I saw in the Tour of Qatar, it looks like Bos has more speed than sense. I mean, I’m just armchair quarterbacking, but check it:

Dude went at around 500 meters (24 seconds before the finish at 18-20m/s). There’s no way he was going to hold off all those guys for that long. Anyway, I’m stoked to see several strong sprinters on the Cervelo team, with him, Husovd, and Haussler, if they can get it together, they ought to do well.

Bos did say it was an accident and I could see the reason’s why. While I don’t approve of what was done, it really is nice to see some spirited competition for this year’s Tour!

Very happy that y’all are so excited about cycling as I am! That isn’t saying much, is it? At any rate, HI-5!!

Ha I didn’t mean effective like he deserved it or anything. Just that I didn’t even know he was road racing at all now so he was gone for a bit. I dunno. I catch as much as I can with pro cycling, but details and events like that always slip by me.

Anyway, I’m excited to see Team Sky develop through the season.

I don’t think anyone believes Bos was trying to hurt Impey. Bos panicked, took his hands of the bars, and got suspended for that, rightly so. Good to see him back and with Cervelo.

I like Contador’s attitude. He’s been quoted as saying that if he shows up, he intends to win. Of course, that’s an easy statement to make when you’re an excellent time trialist and the strongest climber in the world.

@kyle: I have a pretty busy schedule, so for me… I keep up with a lot of the news on Twitter and subscribing to the Cervelo Test Team newsletter. Surprisingly they give a fair and honest report of the stages. The post-race interview with the riders are neat too!

@halbritt: Agreed. There’s no way Bos’ upper body is physically strong enough to pull Impey over while riding @ 35mph+. Impey probably just got caught on Bos’ front wheel and went over. I’m sure you’ve seen the video so I’ll refrain from poasting it.

Yeah, I read Velonews a few times a week. I don’t really like reading race reports though. I’d rather watch it all unfold. Basically living in the states sucks for anyone who wants to watch cycling on TV even sort of often.

I keep up with steephill. I like to watch the highlights, usually from eurosport. I want to see the attacks and the finish.

[quote=bradencbc]Not that KBK is not a tough race but often in these early season semi-classics most of the riders will drop out early once a break goes or a selection is made. Many use this race merely as test of form for the coming major spring classics.

It is pretty crazy to think about how that some guys just use something like this as a training race while others are in it to win it.[/quote]

I was watching KBK live and the weather was fucking epic, wind and rain all day long. Sure, a lot of the big names dropped out because of the weather and having raced the day before but Hushovd clearly went for it but cracked… now there’s something you don’t see every day. Hunt was riding with Thor in the second group (6th position) and just quit and got into a car…

This vid gives a good impression of what it was like http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_sportnieuws/MG_wielrennen/1.727410

I’d never seen anything like this before, crazy.

the final kms

That Vacansoleil guy didn’t win any friends that day. Watching him not take a pull was comical.