PSA: Salsa Cro-Moto Stem Recall

From PhillyFixed:

Dear Bicycle Retailer:

We recently discovered a manufacturing defect that may affect some of our Salsa CroMoto SUL threadless and quill stems. To date we have received two reports of a stem breaking in use. One rider crashed and suffered a broken wrist. We are cooperating with the Consumer Product Safety Commission in this recall, and a nationwide press release will be issued very soon alerting consumers to this safety issue.

These stems were painted to match and included as original equipment on the following complete Salsa bicycles: La Cruz, Casseroll Singlespeed, Casseroll Triple, El Mariachi, and Ala Carte. These models were sold by QBP from November 5, 2007 to December 31, 2008 (QBP Part Numbers BK0050 to BK0081).

The recall also includes both road and mountain aftermarket stems in all extensions and rises, except the 60mm, 70mm and 80mm extension lengths. Aftermarket stems were painted black and were sold from March 31, 2008 to December 31, 2008. The affected QBP stem part numbers are: SM0001 through SM0028.

If you have any of these affected stems or bicycles in your store, please do not sell them.

A copy of our Recall Procedures is enclosed and this information will also be available on www.salsacromotostem.com and qbp.com . We have also included a consumer poster that can be displayed in your shop. Because production of these stems has been suspended, exact replacements are not available at this time. QBP will therefore provide a $65 credit to your store to enable consumers to purchase a comparable stem. Stems returned by consumers should be returned to QBP using our RM process.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this may cause you or your customers, and sincerely appreciate your cooperation with our recall effort. If you have any questions about the recall or need to request a credit or make a return, please call 877-774-6208 for assistance.

Sincerely,

Jason Boucher
Salsa Brand Manager
Quality Bicycle Products, Inc.

Stem in question:

Hmmm I almost bought one of those during that time.

Oof. I have one of those, but I bought it online. This should be fun.

That is a bad part to have fail.

yay $65

Just got word of this at the shop a couple days ago, and it’s especially funny because I noticed a microscopic crack in one of the welds of a casseroll single one day, and didn’t think anything of it. I’m pretty sure we’ve still got it in stock, though, so nobody bought it/crashed it/died upon it.

Glad I went Scandium. Booyah.

Damn I almost bought one of those. Good thing I’m a cheapskate.

That sucks, I have a few of these but I think they are pre-recall. Definitely was one of my favorite stems.

stems fail plenty from every manufacturer in every color length and clamp size imagineable

And these are recalled. What’s your point?

I’d be pissed if I’d bought a Casseroll. The best thing going for those was the painted-to-match stems.

Just talked to Salsa. They said to just bring it in to any QBP lbs and they’ll give you a $60 credit (I had read 65 originally, but whateva) toward whatever you want.

Oh hey, I’ve got one I never used I don’t think. Free $60?

It’s worth a shot.

fuck. i have two of these. quill and threadless. should i bring em back or just say fuck it?

If they are going so far as a formal recall I wouldn’t say fuck it. A failed stem would be nasty.

aight. ill get my $120. can i order new ones though?

nevermind. They have a date printed on 'em.

Shopping spree! Got a new cassette, chain, and gloves. Very easy.