Randonneurs (randos), use metric for distances; it'll make them feel like a longer ride: rando chat‽

I finished our club 400 on Saturday, There has been weird tension in bcr about whether the rides are too hard, and this one was on the easy side. Only 2000 meters of climbing. Thankfully it was not at all boring, with many diversions from the local rando cliche routes into amazing farm roads .

Weather was wet and cold at the beginning, I remember stopping to put on my hat and having to work pretty hard to get my helmet off with freezing cold hands. Lucky it warmed up. Fairly bad headwinds on the way out turned into fairly nice tailwinds that hung around all day.

I broke my gps and also my front brake bolt sheared off with 5km to go. No matter, with the cold weather i didn’t need tons of water and only needed to stop once in 400km. Everything else was flying info controles, with answers hastily scribbled while jra. Thanks to that and the tailwind mentioned above it was my lifetime fastest 400, 13:53 :smiley:.

15 Likes

So that’s a fugn lie

11 Likes

The sign doesn’t say which 24 hours now, does it?

7 Likes

Metin Uz, a SFR rider was hit and killed while riding a 1200 in Virginia. The story is he blew a stop sign and was hit.

In 2016 I volunteered to staff a stop on the cascade 1200. In the morning Metin and another rider decided they wanted to abandon. I gave them a ride to pdx where they flew and rented a car. Metin sent a really nice email after.

When I volunteered in 2018 he came over to greet and thank me again. Nice guy.

Yesterday our flèche team held a moment of silence as 2/4 of us had spent time.

Here you can find some armchair detectives dithering on

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay in rando updates
Shit happens, I’m got a successful flèche to write about

I failed my second 600k this year

Late season ORR generally offers a “make up” 3/4/600. This years make up was variations on the 3 capes routes - if you rode the 300 you got this pretty sweet ACP metal (can’t find a pic but it’s cool).

6 riders:
4 for the 600
1 for the 400
1 for the 300

I thought I read correctly and start time was at 7 so I was there at 630, we’ll come to find out it started at 6. As I’m quietly cursing, finishing my coffee and dressing down the current RBA and lead pre rider are chatting me up. One of the Canadian riders had last come through in ~2016-2017 and was like “RBA I thought the last time I came through you said you were going to retire!” And she said “yeah well after this season I’m handing it over to @LASER_BEIGE” so, there you have the news I couldnt tell you about months ago @Brendal_Crimpton @Emor_please @bward1028

So I’m a half hour + behind and I’m trying to get to the first lil hill. As soon as I make the turn I see the 400 rider - a retiree from California who trucks around in an rv when they’re not living in Palm Springs or San Jose. TAF approved s-works loaded with all kinds of bags. We rode together and I see an SIR rider, the two Canucks and we meet up with Bill A who just got a new thompson with all the modern stuff - 12s chorus, flat mount discs - oh it’s sweet. It’s like a sage green with a muted yellow lug lining. Maybe Corey posted photos to insta. Anyway, I’m complimenting his bike and I was like “don’t you have a sweet Ahearne as well?” “Yeah, geez you’ve got a good memory”

I descend from the first climb and make it out to the second climb - in short notice I pass the canucks - one of them is having a hard time of it. I get to the top and the faster of the two and I chat - I’d met this guy before, I recognized his bike (https://www.nakedbicycles.com/). Edit: this bike is on page 44 of AR volume 25. We chatted and he said his buddy was trying to get the 600 before cascade (june 24-28). He was going really slow and I was getting cold so I descended into tillamook.

The weather worked out - the last couple days there was an “atmospheric river” that dumped a whole lot of rain but when I got into tillamook the grey clouds melted away and it was patchy blue.

Northbound around km120 I got a flat. I pulled over and started to fix and some old lady stops and asks if I need a ride! No but thank you. I find a tire puncture but no glass or metal, there’s a hole in the tire and a pretty big gash. I figure I’ll probably be ok so I mount the tire. Hop-hop-hop-hop…I pull over and the bead isn’t set in one portion of the wheel causing a flat spot. I remove and try again. Hop hop hop. I try it a 3rd time. Same result. I’m burning daylight so I just go. This is not fun.

I get to the turn off for the loop into nehalem river valley and holy shit, I wasn’t going to take picture but look at this valley

Clouds pushed against the top of the hills and everywhere else blue skies.

Continuing on the loop I see the SIR rider headed the other way
“Uh oh did I go the wrong way?”
“Yeah maybe but it’s a loop so does it matter?”
“Probably not. Ride safe, I’m gonna catch you”
He was about ~5-10km ahead and I never caught him.

On the way out I see the s-works rider and wave, that’s the last I see of her.

Turnaround and I stop halfway to tillamook at a gas station to try to fix the tire again. I got it to go a little bit but it was still hopping. I’m now at about 50km of dick punch and this is not a good feeling. But I continue. Into tillamook and I stop for a classic veg burrito and to check phone messages. I txt my wife and tell her that this sucks.

I go over the Safeway where there is a line at the bottle return. There’s a mom and 2 young kids trying to return a cart full of cans. I say to the kids “hey, I’ll give you a dollar if you make sure nobody messes with my bike” I lock up and head inside for water and a banana. Back out I hand $2 to 1 of the kids as the other has gone off to play with the other kids running around. The mom tells me her cart full of Red Bull cans are from her friend. Things are tough all over.

When I die suggest to my wife to take me here and then for the wake go get ice cream together at the creamery.

Out to cape meares there are “roads closed” signs on the road I’m supposed to take. Y’all know me, I have a contentious relationship with authority and can hardly read so I progress. Nothing is different from when we rode over a month ago? Once you pass 3 signs and a logging/construction site you’re on a decommissioned, eroded road that heads out from the south entrance? That has no signs?

I get to the other side and descend down to the water

Jig jog down the coast, up and down until cape lookout. Descend past sand lake and up to pacific city. The 50km from tillamook to pac city took me 3 hours - mainly because I’m heavier than I want to be, climbing isn’t my strength and I’m getting punched in the dick at various intensities.

I’m pacific city I stop at the bougie market that used to have a hot case but has now been converted to fish sales. The lines are deep and everything is expensive so fuck that I’m going to the Heavy metal gas station. Last time we were in town the gas station was blasting Judas Priest and it really made it welcoming. This time it was some annoying tencho. Whatever. I grab a Gatorade and one of those cheese berry danishes and go outside. I call my FIL to see if he has any suggestions for the tire. I told him I thought maybe washing the bead because it’s kind of dry might work? And he said that I should use a detergent - go ask the station attendants for some handsoap. So, I took the tire off again and proceeded to go over the bead with hand soap and water. This worked about 80%. But the damage was already done

Punched in the dick for ~130k
Not riding with anyone
Way up in my own head
Hands hurt from adjusting my position

I leave the gas station and head up lil nestucca river road

Suns going down
Everything is beautiful

And I climb into grande ronde.
There is a sketchy/no shoulder bridge just past grande ronde and generally you take the first right and drop down an embankment to get off hwy18 and onto a quieter street. There is now a barbed wire fence but I still made it past. There’s a dude standing on the street twitching his fingers and I ask “you doing alright dude?” He doesn’t answer and kind of grumbles.

This road goes past an Rv trailer park that has grown significantly over the last 10 years. There are nice, new cars parked up next to run down rvs, the piles of trash that are ubiquitous with transient living spaces and tweakers. I’ve never seen it like this before - folks are out (and passed out) doing tweaker shit. I came upon a guy that looked like he was intending to break into a car that was left on the side of the road.

It’s now after 11 and all services we reportedly closed - except there was a minimart in willamina open. This was a minimart with a lot of drug paraphernalia. All kinds of shit. Well I got a Gatorade flavor I’d never had before and that was a mistake. Again, weirdos being weird.

From Sheridan through dayton and Lafayette (amity bridge was closed so took a reroute) it was pretty uneventful. After Lafayette onto abbey road it looks like the Trappist monks had paved their driveway so I figured this would be a nice, well lit, somewhat safe spot to take 5-10minutes to lay on my back. My ass hurts, my hands hurt, I just needed some time. I shut my eyes and could hear critters nearby and an owl screeching.

Rollers for the next ~30km and it’s now 330a. I’m on the last lil jig jogs and a minivan rolls up behind me and the passenger (child or young woman) screams out the window. Fuck. I’m done. They turn around and pass me the other way and I bolt. I’ve got my reserve energy that I save for an end-of-ride sprint and I don’t want to see what these yahoos do next so I go as fast as I can.

I get to the last stoplight FULLY INTENDING TO BLAST THROUGH and a cop rolls up. Plans thwarted but at least I’m not becoming a martyr by drunk kids.

21:59 ride time for a 400 I completed with a group of 3 at 20:37 just a month ago. I hate riding alone.

18 Likes

Ouch dude I’ve done most of that but over the course of three days lol

1 Like

wouldn’t that make it a creamatory?

6 Likes

Well, take my corpse to the crematory and celebrate at the creamery

U figure it out
Nobody cares about anything when they’re dead

1 Like

everyone would like an extra vowel, as a treat

2 Likes

Is such a low headcount normal? Year before PBP i would have thought more people would be out in PNW

They are pretty sweet, same design as the card. i’ll post a photo if I ever get my medal

3 Likes

Our friend txtd me this morning, said he read the report. :handshake:

Good question. Weather was lousy the last week - “atmospheric river” and had changed a lot in the days leading up. Lots of folks “resting” for cascade on 6/24. ORR also has some mediocre engagement of local riders - attendance was dwindling before covid and there are still folks with valid concerns about going into public. Remember, the general demographic is of older, many retired folks.

3 capes 300 is a fantastic ride. 3 capes 400 is pretty good too.

I’ve found that riding alone a lot of the time sucks. Even if there was a group ahead/behind me is slightly better if I can talk or commiserate with other riders - build camaraderie in our hobby.

It’s a tough question and I’m open to suggestions

2 Likes

I’m sure I’m not the only one who stopped riding ORR loops because they all start in the butt end of nowhere and the thrill of riding 50k to get to the start of a 200k, then 50k back home got old a lot faster than I thought it would.

3 Likes

Is your suggestion to move starts closer to where you live?

When was your last event? I remember you were a secret controle on SO’s surface of the sun 400 in 2012-13?

Moving the start somewhere nice can make the whole ride nice and you filter out the slow, ugly and dangerous sprawl. It’s a trade off for sure.

1 Like

I did a wilsonville-eugene 400 sometime after that, dunno if it was the last orr one I rode or not. I brought up continuing the pdx start series, but was told that starting in the scary city would drive people away.

I’m happy as a solitary rider, so riding the fuck out of my perms was my personal solution to that problem (at least until the car rammed that rider in texas and permanently fucked the rusa perms program — now I’ve got to set up a database and do my own unsanctioned permanents program *sigh*)

Lol
@jdg

4 Likes

Rip bro

1 Like

I agree, but for me I really like a mix: some time with friends and other riders to chat (probably the majority of the time), but also want some alone time to just turn the pedals and be with my thoughts.

But from your descriptions I wonder if I would actually like US rando?

Having to travel for an event is getting harder and harder. The Berlin group has its quirks for sure, but the majority of the events start / finish in the city and they almost all sell-out (which means ~90-100 riders starting in waves of 30). This works out for the most part that you never feel totally alone on the course for any big length of time, which is something I really enjoy - crossing paths with the same groups of people throughout the course.

Riding alone at night can be fun, but i’ve had very few heart-racing, fear-inducing road rage moments here as compared to my rides back home. I do find it more fun riding with a small group overnight

This is my dream. I like starting with people, then sort of having a lot of time to myself. “Awkward forced conversation during a quasi-paceline” is one of my least favorite kinds of riding.

4 Likes

You don’t have to talk

1 Like