really bad handlebar/lever setups itt

but steel is real !! muh omniterra!! breaking the mold!!! screw expectations! natch!!!

OK I’ll stop.

I’d put money on the black just being rattlecanned

These guys are jerks anyways.

You can come hang out with me in my basement. I’m making another batch of kombucha tonight.

I’d put money on the black just being rattlecanned[/quote]

that’s almost worse

I have a CrossCheck, it is just fine for a durable commuter / occasional dirtroadfuckarounder. I can put almost literally any dilapidated spare part I have on it, and it’s a total tank. Fifteen year old Dura Ace 7700 shifters? 2.2in mtb tires? Sure. Leave it locked up outside in the rain all day? Yup.

What baffles me are people who obviously have enough money and bicycle product awareness to kit their Surlys out with tons of aftermarket parts. Do they not know? Is there some running thread on bikeforums or rslashbicycles that coaxes people into doing this? How? Why?

Yup, it’s the Cross Check with Paul parts, Thomsen set-back with a Brooks post, and derpy bars that’s the complaint here.

There’s a guy in Seattle with all the “expensive-MUSA-hoarder-with-a-dash-of-German-boutique-lighting” build on a Cross Check. With the additional “this is cool now, right” front load on the 60mm trail geometry.

He has no idea how embarrassing and pathetic he looks (to .01% of the people who see him riding the awful thing)

Precious Surlys are the worst. I think people read Grant Peterson’s website, believe steel is real but can’t afford Riv, they buy a Surly and treat it like a delicate flower with wooden fenders and pristine decals. The whole point is to have an ugly, durable bike with ugly, durable parts on it that you didn’t spend a shit ton of money on but a lot of people convince themselves that they are “nice”

I really like my Surlys but I understand why somebody who didn’t weigh 250 pounds would hate them. OTOH, my 95-pound wife also likes her heavy-ass Surly just because it came in a size that fit her (though if we shelled out for some sort of lightweight homercar she’d probably like that better)

our LBS owners have a much easier time paying rent selling $3500 Straggler builds

they get to build fancy dynamo wheels, and the more MUSA bling with great manufacturer-direct margins the better

I know that Cross Check. Dude is a Cat 6 master on cold Burke Gilman mornings.

Every time I see him I own him on principle

He favors the bell-less sneak attack, followed by the rapid decrease in speed. Haven’t seen him out since the weather really turned.

A serotta reaches equilibrium:

This. Surly actually did a good job making bikes to fit small people (and big people). Hate on them all you want, but they did get that part right, even if the turds weigh a lot.

Hating on Surly is tarck’s favorite thing.

I own 2.

[quote=chazzwazzer]A serotta reaches equilibrium:

https://instagram.com/p/BPSzzaQDLg0/[/quote]
This is awful

This. Surly actually did a good job making bikes to fit small people (and big people). Hate on them all you want, but they did get that part right, even if the turds weigh a lot.[/quote]

I agree generally, but I’m suspicious that some of their geo choices on small sizes are just concessions to avoid toe overlap due to questionable wheel size (e.g. 69.5deg head angle on the 38 straggler, places where the TT length looks right but it’s actually just the seat angle getting steeper and the reach staying the same…) But I’m sure they’re constrained in what they can spec, and it’s definitely rad that they make it easier to get teeny bikes.

Just the once. It’s only the 650b Straggler that’s better than the industry average

Their previous tinybikes have been bottom of the barrel, with a couple being Worst In Class

I don’t give a shit that the frame weighs an extra pound or two, I’m gonna carry many times that in random bullshit that settled to the bottom of my bag and I forgot about. Even for a pantywaist like me it’s just a percent of the total weight.

What does matter is that extra steel is in there to keep it from being too noodly underneath the average 6’6" 350lb corn fed Surly employee

So I really should get an Ice Cream Truck for my fat shredder!!