Replacement for Cane Creek S-3 headset

The S-3 has been discontinued, and as a result, they’re now more expensive and harder to find.

Anyone have recommendations for an alternative? Something with alloy cups, sealed bearings, black finish, not too pricey? Oh yeah, standard threadless, 1-1/8".

Cane Creek 40 Series seems to be the S-3 replacement.

Erm, Jenson has them for $35. Stock up now? Otherwise, I’ve been entirely happy with my FSA orbit x.

TC: I don’t get the whole super-expensive headset thing. It’s really got a pretty easy job, and has to be pretty f’d up for me to notice a bad one. What am I missing?

There’s also a 10 series for even cheaper

I just copped a s-3 off ebay a few days ago. I miss seeing millions of them for $15 :frowning:

[quote=jimmythefly]Erm, Jenson has them for $35. Stock up now? Otherwise, I’ve been entirely happy with my FSA orbit x.

TC: I don’t get the whole super-expensive headset thing. It’s really got a pretty easy job, and has to be pretty f’d up for me to notice a bad one. What am I missing?[/quote]

There really is no difference. I’m actually still using the stock headset that came with my scrambler and it still works fine. It’s just sealed bearings allow for less maintenance. The worst thing that could happen is your bike gets harder to turn.

People who buy expensive headsets always say that their (King) headsets outlast their frames (“I’ve used the same headset in five different frames!”). Funny thing is, I’ve never had a Cane Creek S-3 wear out, either. Plus, the S-3 stays in adjustment, doesn’t creak, and is easier to maintain than any King I’ve used/owned.

Maybe I’ll just grab a few S-3’s from Jenson.

i was told the only difference between the 10 and 40 is that the 10 comes with a plastic crown race and split ring. so buy the 10 and then spend like $2 on a proper crown race/ring.

You’d have to get the upgrade part from Cane Creek, and I’m not sure they’re the same design.

At least at the higher end, the newer numbered headsets have a much bigger split ring, that’s buried underneath the top race instead of wedging down into it from above:

One came with my new 29er, and it works pretty fucking great. They must have been saving the design to debut after their original patent expired.

I’ve seen Chris King headsets crack from offroad use. Never had an issue with either of my S-3 headsets, and one of them has been moved from bike to bike to bike. IMO forged>CNC’d when it comes to headsets and stems.

I prefer to buy CaneCreek headsets for 2 reasons - 1) good quality, good price and 2) they refused to liscense the patent to Shimano.

shimano pro rm-11

comes in both colors (silver, black)

[quote=jimmythefly]

TC: I don’t get the whole super-expensive headset thing. It’s really got a pretty easy job, and has to be pretty f’d up for me to notice a bad one. What am I missing?[/quote]

back in davis someone brought in a visp for assembly. the provided headset had no bearings, it was just a plastic bushing.

so there’s ways to fuck up a headset lol

this jawn?

http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?browse=Complete&name=AER

oh never mind. just looked at visp’s website, those are way too jank to be using weight weenie shit

my upper king headset cup cjust cracked.