Request for Dumb Tutorials (beyond dumb questions).

Ok, so, I absolutely suck at adjusting derailleurs.

Currently, the ultegra on my cross check is shifting like crap. I followed Zinn and I’m fairly certain that I got the rear derailleur set up properly.
The front is a different story however. I can’t shift big to little without having to “feather” the hell out of it. Again, according to Zinn the cable tension is okay. I set the limit screws to his direction and it is still shifting like shit. The three lowest gears and the two highest gears rub when in the big ring and there are a few rubbing in the small ring. I’m supremely frustrated and I feel like every 1/4 turn of the limit screws and every time I adjust the cable tension I just fuck it up more.

I’ve never really had anyone show me derailleur adjustment, I’ve always kind of just been able to figure it out. This however, is beyond me and I’m contemplating taking it to a shop; which I really don’t want to do for something so simple.

Can anyone suggest anything? Could it be the deore lx FD and ultegra everything else? What the hell could I be doing wrong. I feel like an inadequte cyclist. I can’t build wheels, and now I can’t even adjust a fucking derailleur. Pity!

what ultegra? i found the 6700 stuff pretty sensitive to cable tension. a little adjustment at a time and take for a spin.
maybe give it a little more limit?
on my shrams i run em all the way out until i can get the chain to drop then back it off a smidge.
just keep fucking with it. you’ll get it.

are you using the trim?

what shifters?

Kind of a guess here, but I think it’d be this – the FD should work fine with the shifters, but it probably won’t be a good match for a road chainset (whether its double, triple, or compact). I’m pretty sure most Shimano MTB derailleurs are designed to only work with more MTBish rings.

Someone please tell me how wrong I am here.

^This was what I was thinking, I don’t think I’m that mechanically inept.

The whole group is 6500 sans the FD.

The Barnett’s manual chapters on derailleur setup & adjustment (chapters 32 & 33) are pretty good atmo.

I also think that the front derailer might be the thing at fault here, specifically the shaping of the cage. I say this because I had big problems trying to get a 105 triple derailer designed to shift 52-42-32 to shift a 46-29 wide range double. The shaping of the cage was just conspicuously wrong; it clearly did not want to move a chain between rings of those sizes and would easily jam, rub, etc. eventually i got an old ass suntour derailer with no fancy shaping whatsoever, and it is much more tolerant of my oddball gear combo. a regular road double derailer should be fine for you.

From another forum:

[quote]Jeff S. wrote:
Shimano mountain f/d and road shifter compatibility
Hello, I just read in the Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) catalog, that one
should not mix a mountain front deraiileur and a road front shifter. Why is
that?

They use a different amount of cable travel per shift.

My specific question: does this guideline still apply to bar-end shifters
(D-A 9-speed) and mountain front derailleurs (XT M751 or LX M571)?

Not a problem with bar-end shifters, 'cause they aren’t indexed for the
front derailer. This is only an issue with indexed front shifters, such
as STI.

Sheldon “No Worries” Brown[/quote]

Kind of a guess here, but I think it’d be this – the FD should work fine with the shifters, but it probably won’t be a good match for a road chainset (whether its double, triple, or compact). I’m pretty sure most Shimano MTB derailleurs are designed to only work with more MTBish rings.

Someone please tell me how wrong I am here.[/quote]

The single best-shifting bike I’ve ever owned was a muttbike with 105 9-speed STI, Ultegra compact cranks, XT mid-cage MTB rear derailleur, 9-speed 11-34 cassette, and Ultegra FD. It mixed road and MTB shamelessly. Maybe not relevant because of 9 speed?

The best way to set up Shimano shifty bits imho is to follow the process outlined in the manual and make sure you have a straight mech hanger.

Currently setting up a bike with Deore shifter + 105 RD, Alivio shifter + Deore FD, 3x9 with road triple. I’ll let you know how it works out.

In other news, I’ve got lightly used Tiagra 3x9 brifter set and a Tiagra triple FD for sale. And some drop bars.

really DQ: how do i change my username?

PM a mod then go to the other dumb questions thread for all your new DQs