roadie confessions

well i think i might officially be a roadie as of today. won a cat 4/5 crit today - although i guess it was more of a circuit course as it was fairly long and hilly enough to make a difference. on top of the $50 cash, i also got a jersey from the team that was throwing the race (read: now sponsored/have team) - thanks to the guy that i drove to the race. winning money from cycling is awesome! :bear:

Grats but I hate to break it to you, unless you’ve never ridden your bike on the road until today you’ve been a roadie all along :colbert:

congrats dude. you’re on of them now. now you’ll go on and on about watts and all that related boring stuff.

dick.

:slight_smile:

Congratulations. Good stuff.

tjayk, Out of curiosity, how many races have you done prior to your win today?

Sidenote: I’ve decided to “measure my output wattage” of everything I do. For example: I was outputting 300 watts this morning while fucking.

Congratulations.

I think that probably a third to a half of this board would qualify as “roadies.” I know I certainly would. The only fixed gear bike I own gets ridden exclusively on the track.

[quote=“NitroPye”]tjayk, Out of curiosity, how many races have you done prior to your win today?

Sidenote: I’ve decided to “measure my output wattage” of everything I do. For example: I was outputting 300 watts this morning while fucking.[/quote]

aha… lol to that last part. this was only my fourth race ever - before this was one road race and two crits. i need to start training smarter - this win was a big part strategy as there were definitely strong riders that would have smoked me in a field sprint. i took off early and noone chased - won by quite a bit (one guy said he saw i was unattached and decided not to chase!)

and to one of the earlier comments: i did way more mountain biking before i got into road cycling, so there. :colbert: i could have denied it before i started shaving my legs at least.

[quote=“tjayk”] (one guy said he saw i was unattached and decided not to chase!)
[/quote]

Why because he wanted to “give” you the win, or because unattached riders rock?

Aahhhh HAHAHAHAHHA!!!

looks down at stubble on legs

hahhhaawww… damn. Guess I’m a roadie too.

[quote=“NitroPye”][quote=“tjayk”] (one guy said he saw i was unattached and decided not to chase!)
[/quote]

Why because he wanted to “give” you the win, or because unattached riders rock?[/quote]

i guess he thought i was weak. :colbert:

but it was 2 turns away to a fast downhill finish, and downhill the whole way. i’m no longer unattached, but i still rock. :bear:

Pfft, f that you rocked him unattached. :bear: looks favorably down upon thee.

and now for the photo evidence. those dudes unleashing their sprints behind me are huge! and that guy in the grass on the far right in the 2nd photo goes otb just after the photo.

i need to work on my celebratory pose - i was so tired i just sat down and hung my arms at my sides…

photo credit to john wilkes (http://www.peloton-pix.com)

Your face is priceless haha.

With $50 you could book a couple of hours down at the tanning salon.

next time i guess you won’t look like you’ve never won a race before then…right?
haha, those dudes look pretty big. i wonder if they let you go because they thought you would blow up and then were thinking “shit, little guy got out there and we aren’t gonna catch him now…damn.”

haha, what the hell happened to the guy in the grass. he looks scared and like he’s trying to get his foot unclipped.
why the hell is her in the grass anyways. what a dummy.

thanks a lot. i wear sunscreen obsessively because i’ve already had melanoma. :colbert:

[quote=“(|)”]haha, what the hell happened to the guy in the grass. he looks scared and like he’s trying to get his foot unclipped.
why the hell is her in the grass anyways. what a dummy.[/quote]

guess he lost control - this is right before he goes over his bars (like i said above). there was a pretty wicked crash earlier in the race - i think there were 2 broken collarbones.

[quote="(|)"]next time i guess you won’t look like you’ve never won a race before then…right?
haha, those dudes look pretty big. i wonder if they let you go because they thought you would blow up and then were thinking “shit, little guy got out there and we aren’t gonna catch him now…damn.”[/quote]

haha, yeah, that is probably the biggest grin i’ll have from a race win. after the race at least one guy said he saw i was unattached and didn’t bother chasing. now i won’t have that advantage ever again (having a team jersey and all now).

You didn’t have an advantage before. If a dude said he didn’t bother chasing because you were unattached, that dude couldn’t chase you :wink: Excuses excuses.

I am not a racer, but my impression is that teams don’t really matter as much at the lower end of amateur racing. That is not to say that the guys in the race do not fancy themselves master tacticians. I agree with NitroPye, they probably just couldn’t keep on your wheel or played it wrong.