Rocky Mountain MTBs?

Anyone have any advice whether any of these are good deals? I would prefer to have all LX/SLX, but it looks like that’s not in the cards for my budget.

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2009&Brand=Rocky+Mountain&Model=Trailhead&Type=bike $640

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2009&Brand=Rocky+Mountain&Model=Soul&Type=bike $420

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2009&Brand=Rocky+Mountain&Model=Fusion&Type=bike $510

And for good measure, the http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/windsor_cliff4900.htm $500

ONE OF THEM COSTS 420 FUCK YEAH SMOKE WEED

Ash… what are you using the bike for?

If you want bike recommendations, we need info.

[quote=EivlEvo]Ash… what are you using the bike for?

If you want bike recommendations, we need info.[/quote]

Good point. I’d like to do some recreational-type riding out on local fireroads during the summer, and race during the season. I guess if a generic aluminum 105 bike might be considered the baseline quality/value setup for a road bike, I’m looking for the equivalent mtb. Also coz poor these '09 deals appeal to me (but google says RMB are overpriced in the first place, so i have no clue).

EDIT TO MAKE MORE SENSE: i ride and race road, hence dicking around during the summer but still racing

Rocky Mountain makes nice bikes atmo. Dunno about price, but if you buy a bike… you should be buying it for the frame. Components could be upgraded anytime. But if you need to constantly change frames… forget it.

If you want to race, I think Deore is the LOWEST you want to go.

I know I built my GF a Cannondale and put full LX on it (except cranks and shifters coz had some richey gripshifts laying around) and it was pretty cheap. But this bike could definitely be raced on.

When you start getting below that level, I question the durability of the components under load and abuse. An Acera derailleur might save you a couple bux, but when you need to buy a new one to replace it you’re out the cash.

Also, you might want to look into just piecing a groupset together on ebay/nashbar/where ever, and just buying a frame off eBay or something.

[quote=EivlEvo]Rocky Mountain makes nice bikes atmo. Dunno about price, but if you buy a bike… you should be buying it for the frame. Components could be upgraded anytime. But if you need to constantly change frames… forget it.

If you want to race, I think Deore is the LOWEST you want to go.

I know I built my GF a Cannondale and put full LX on it (except cranks and shifters coz had some richey gripshifts laying around) and it was pretty cheap. But this bike could definitely be raced on.

When you start getting below that level, I question the durability of the components under load and abuse. An Acera derailleur might save you a couple bux, but when you need to buy a new one to replace it you’re out the cash.

Also, you might want to look into just piecing a groupset together on ebay/nashbar/where ever, and just buying a frame off eBay or something.[/quote]

About how much did your GF’s bike end up costing? I tried the piecemeal method with my road bike, and ended up spending much more than I could have on a full used (or even a new bikesdirect). Getting the parts and putting them on was fun, but push comes to shove price is god.

So I guess my real question is: for $500ish, is a decent frame with a Marzocchi 22R fork and Deore/Deore XT a decent get? As far as upgrading stuff later on, the only thing I’m apprehensive about is the fork (they cost $$$ and I have no idea if the Marz is “raceworthy”).

In MTB everything is race worthy if you want to ride it. It will eventually break.

The marz hasn’t the best reviews but for casual riding with occasional nonsense… it will soak up the bumps.

I got the fram for free (Cannondale CAAD 2? with Headshock) I rebuilt the headshock and had a spare rear wheel from my accident.

Bought a stem, handlebars, LX RD, cassette, Avid Brakes (single digit and speed dials) and a front wheel. Had a spare post, cranks, shifters, and FD.

In all I probably spent $300 to get the bike rolling.

I think $500 is probably about right, and the fork is plenty functional.

I’d pay attention to the disc/v-brake compatability.

Why not get a 29er and go single speed until you can afford a groupset?

[quote=EivlEvo]
Why not get a 29er and go single speed until you can afford a groupset?[/quote]

I’m too fat for this sport, and lived on my lowest possible gear while tooling around a friend’s mtb this summer. Also, that bike is on a pretty steep discount off msrp (something like 50% off MSRP, closer to 30% real world prices according to mtbr), so I was hoping to sink the money now, but get a good deal while I can. Sounds like it’s not that much of a blowout price, though. If that’s the case, I should probably hold off until I have some extra funds.

Do not buy a 26" hardtail. They are essentially obsolete.

Well you could get a single speed gear that you can actually ride? Plus as Hal just said the 26" hardtail is doneskis. But to each their own.

You are being sort of contradictive by saying that you want a bike to occasionally race, but you’re too fat and can’t handle the single speed.

As well as saying that you’re poor and can’t afford nice componentry AND a nice frame, but don’t want a single speed and a nice frame?

Not busting you out, I’m just saying that if I were in your shoes… I’d be looking to go Single Speed on a 29er. Nice frame. and basic single components. Upgrade as appropriate.

Plus who knows… you might like single speeding better?

This. Put the proper gearing on it and harden the fuck up. Don’t think about schmancy stuff like derailleurs until you’ve had your ass handed to you in a couple of races. Riding singlespeed will do a lot to make you faster.

that’s why i ride fixy.

i don’t see how they are any more obsolete than a 29’er hardtail. the only reason it seems that way is because 29’ers are a newer product. the price difference between a decent hardtail and a decent full suspension is HUGE, and it doesn’t seem like he has that kind of money. this is all assuming that the OP feels like he MUST buy new. personally, i don’t see the point in buying new, especially since he’s just getting into the sport.

pretty sure 26" hardtail will be in production at least as long as it takes for OP to decide to upgrade/give up on MTB/thoroughly destroy his frame

on an elite pro level, sure the change in rider preference has been well-documented

Redline Monocog 29er or maybe GT Peace 9er, seriously. Gear them later if you have to.

sounds like ss is the way to go. I had hoped to get it all (in some form) with the rmb’s sale price, but I guess not. I’m fine with used, etc, just hoped that the deal would turn out to be too good to pass up. most of my teams sponsorship deals seem pretty meh

as for fat/racing, I was being tongue in cheek, as i’m heavy/muscular but in good shape, and not a speed demon on hills. there’s a fine line between challenging and frustrating, and I was worried a ss would fall into the latter, but seems like everyones in agreement.

now to start lurking craigslist for frames/parts. also, is there a good reference for mtb stuff, like disc compatibilty? sheldon doesn’t look like he has too much on mtb standards.

I’ve been looking at mountain bikes as well, although the problem is that I need ~29-30" standover, and a lot of 29ers are over that in the smallest size, so I might need a 26".

Is FS the way to go if you get a good deal? I was looking at some of the BD bikes as well.

Question: Why go for a $700ish (used) rigid singlespeed when I could get the new 26" geared for 200 less?

Question: Why go for a $700ish (used) rigid singlespeed when I could get the new 26" geared for 200 less?[/quote]

lmao at the idea that 26’’ is obsolete and then rigid bikes are being suggested.

i don’t see how they are any more obsolete than a 29’er hardtail. the only reason it seems that way is because 29’ers are a newer product. the price difference between a decent hardtail and a decent full suspension is HUGE, and it doesn’t seem like he has that kind of money. this is all assuming that the OP feels like he MUST buy new. personally, i don’t see the point in buying new, especially since he’s just getting into the sport.[/quote]

They are obsolete because the 29er has achieved complete market penetration and aren’t really priced at a premium over a 26" bike and full squish 26" bikes don’t really suffer much in terms of weight or pedaling efficiency. The OP was talking about racing which presumes that he wants to go fast, in which case, he doesn’t want to be on a 26" hardtail.