Rollers or stationary trainer

i got $180 rollers on CL for $50. work pretty well. I dont care what people say, rollers make you sweat like a pig.

Edit: #protestwordfilters

I’m in a second floor apartment do either of them make noises someone below could hear?

i dont think rollers are going to be any louder than watching tv at a reasonable volume. they might vibrate more, but that can be fixed using a yoga pad as someone suggested earlier

I have both: Rollers and a Trainer, they both have their plusses and minuses. If you are really serious you will end up wanting/using both. I find that for real taxing workouts like 2x20minute intervals and pretty much any hard interval workout I am more effective on the Trainer. The rollers are good for up to zone 3 workouts and skills training like working on your spin.
I use both most regularly on race days. I find that the Trainer is the best way to warm up before a crit, when I need a long building warm up followed by some really aggressive jumps. I end up with my rollers at track races for staying warm between races. One note: I am forced to use my rollers at the track because my Trainer wont accommodate a nutted axel. There are trainers that will work with a nutted axel, so if you want that source it out.
I have fallen off my rollers while warming up at both crits and track races! its pretty embarrassing! but it might be effective in lowering the fields expectations of you!

If you are on a budget just get some cheap rollers. If you have a little more money get rollers that accomodate a nutted axel, or both rollers and a trainer!

[quote=“Quinn8it”]I have both: Rollers and a Trainer, they both have their plusses and minuses. If you are really serious you will end up wanting/using both. I find that for real taxing workouts like 2x20minute intervals and pretty much any hard interval workout I am more effective on the Trainer. The rollers are good for up to zone 3 workouts and skills training like working on your spin.
I use both most regularly on race days. I find that the Trainer is the best way to warm up before a crit, when I need a long building warm up followed by some really aggressive jumps. I end up with my rollers at track races for staying warm between races. One note: I am forced to use my rollers at the track because my Trainer wont accommodate a nutted axel. There are trainers that will work with a nutted axel, so if you want that source it out.
I have fallen off my rollers while warming up at both crits and track races! its pretty embarrassing! but it might be effective in lowering the fields expectations of you!

If you are on a budget just get some cheap rollers. If you have a little more money get rollers that accomodate a nutted axel, or both rollers and a trainer![/quote]

this is a lot of really good info.
As far as buying practicality goes, if you cant afford a nice trainer, get a set of rollers. If you can afford a nice trainer, get a nice trainer and a set of rollers.
I couldnt afford both, so rollers were the choice, I see more benefit from better spin, and by letting a little air out of my tires and flipping to the 77 GI side of my wheel I can get a hell of a workout. That also might have something to do with the fact that my rollers are the reduced radius ones so that might add resistance (I’m no physicist, so I cant tell you for sure)

[quote=“Quinn8it”]I have both: Rollers and a Trainer, they both have their plusses and minuses. If you are really serious you will end up wanting/using both. I find that for real taxing workouts like 2x20minute intervals and pretty much any hard interval workout I am more effective on the Trainer. The rollers are good for up to zone 3 workouts and skills training like working on your spin.

If you are on a budget just get some cheap rollers. If you have a little more money get rollers that accomodate a nutted axel, or both rollers and a trainer![/quote]

I didnt think about the whole nutted axel thing. I was leaning more towards a trainer at first since a bunch popped up on craigslist here, but now I’m thinking rollers. I think I’ll concentrate on getting a road bike before I shell out for both, but I just wanted one for now to get me through the winter.

yeah, 30 minutes on mine this morning had me drenching my floor. I was sweating as much or more than I ever have before.
25+ average MPH at 75+ gear inches for a half hour will get your ass in shape.

yah true that. i’m going to bust out the rollers tonight. i need to get my body heat soaring to kill off this half cold i’m dealing with.

yeah. i think thats my problem. i cant spend that much time on the rollers.

it just takes some practice. I used to fall off every 5 minutes (or get close to).
Now I set em up between my bed and dresser so i can steady myself if need be, and I have gotten to the point where I can stick a book on a chair in front of me and read while I ride, or study or text or whatever.
pretty nice way to do homework.

my roller setup :stuck_out_tongue:

rollers are more fun