saddles

bum pedestal thread.

gawd damnit, all of the shops in my area that are supposed to carry Fabric saddles don’t and won’t participate in the demo program. if I go ahead and get the flat and shallow at the same time, think i’ll be able to return one? would assume clamp marks would make it not returnable.

if anyone is after a brown san marco regal in brown, I’ll give it to tarcker for shipping. great shape, other than my cat getting few good knead marks in it…

FWIW we’re probably getting a big fleet of WTB demos in soon. i know it’s not specifically what you’re after, but they have some good shapes and you’re welcome to try some out.

[quote=imoscardotcom]bum pedestal thread.

gawd damnit, all of the shops in my area that are supposed to carry Fabric saddles don’t and won’t participate in the demo program. if I go ahead and get the flat and shallow at the same time, think i’ll be able to return one? would assume clamp marks would make it not returnable.

if anyone is after a brown san marco regal in brown, I’ll give it to tarcker for shipping. great shape, other than my cat getting few good knead marks in it…[/quote]

tape the rails son.

you sly son of a gun

I’ve always wanted to try a Regal.
Dibs if unclaimed; lemme know PayPal deets

Been riding an Ergon SMC-3 LARGE on a couple bikes. On an upright bike it feels pretty good. On a road/touring bike where you might be stretching out more, it’s an ass hatchet. Very firm.

Planet Bike ARS feels pretty good on my hybrid basket bike. Actually have a pretty solid number of miles on that one.

I really like how a well-tensioned Selle Anatomica feels on all kinds of bikes but the rails bend on some of them and I feel like I’m always upping the tension.

i’m just going to keep riding an SLR or its cheaper cousin the SLS on every one of my bikes all the time. i guess it kinda hurts my tenderhole on my mtb on longer rides. maybe i should do something about that?

just fuck my shit up

im guessing thats like riding a sybian

What’s that like?

[quote=ShartAttack]Been riding an Ergon SMC-3 LARGE on a couple bikes. On an upright bike it feels pretty good. On a road/touring bike where you might be stretching out more, it’s an ass hatchet. Very firm.

Planet Bike ARS feels pretty good on my hybrid basket bike. Actually have a pretty solid number of miles on that one.

I really like how a well-tensioned Selle Anatomica feels on all kinds of bikes but the rails bend on some of them and I feel like I’m always upping the tension.[/quote]

You’d recommend the Ergon SMC3 for an upright bike? I’m still using the beach cruiser saddle that came on my Edgerunner, which is a huge bummer. I tried sticking an Arione on it, but that was as hilariously awful as I’d expected. One mile ride to the grocery store sitting on it, one mile ride home standing up.

I put a brooks knockoff on my edgerunner. It’s OK, the rails are almost long enough to make up for the too steep seat tube.

TC: I rode a not yet fully broken-in Berthoud Aravis saddle on the 250 mile, 5 day gravel/pavement tour that Yummy Gooey and I did last week with only the Swrve Cigarette shorts and the same pair of wool briefs and felt 100% comfortable wit no butt pain.
Either I have developed an ass of steel or I’ve finally cracked the secret of the perfect saddle/shorts/fit.

other things that may have helped improve butt comfort:

• meticulous butt maintenance with wet wipes
  • supple 48mm tires

My current favorite saddle is Ergon’s SMC4 (large). The SMC4 has softer padding than the C3, and they add gel inserts, too. Good for MTB use, but probably a little too smooshy for road riding.

[quote=iwillbe]
You’d recommend the Ergon SMC3 for an upright bike? I’m still using the beach cruiser saddle that came on my Edgerunner, which is a huge bummer. I tried sticking an Arione on it, but that was as hilariously awful as I’d expected. One mile ride to the grocery store sitting on it, one mile ride home standing up.[/quote]

To give a full recommendation I’d have to get back to you… What I could say now is that it really chapped my ass riding on my LHT and made every ride just a little painful, but when I swapped it to my more-upright plusbike today it definitely felt much better. I’d probably need to ride it another week or two to be really sure I guess.

Okay, cool, I’d love to know what you think about the Ergon after some regular riding. As an alternative Edgerunner saddle, I might also explore vegan alternatives to Brooks’ wider saddles, though there seems to be a real quality gap between the real thing and the plasticky imitators. Same thing with vegan faux-leather shoes, actually. Mostly $20 Payless stuff (or wildly expensive boutique microfiber from Portugal).

Ergon makes saddles now?

Are they durable? I need to get off my Fizik Aliante kick.

I have one of their carbon-railed marathon saddles (SMR line) I’ve been using as a gravel/cx race saddle. More pressure than I’m used to with my noseless things on other bikes (well duh) but no numbness and has served me well on multi-surface rides.

You ride noseless saddles?
Are you a bike cop?

Do the Berthoud saddles have the same rail-length issues that are found on Brooks’ saddles?