skidding

so i don’t know how to do it.
i know the principles and basics of it, but i’ve never been able to do it.
i’ve never really persued it.
every now and then i’ll try it a couple of times, but i’m not obsessed with trying to learn.
i’m sure i’m the only person on this board that doesn’t know how.
i’m getting better at track standing, but not good at it by any means.
wheelies? forget about it.
i’ve just always stood by the basis that tricks are for kids.

am i right? :bear:
wrong? :bear:
bitter? :colbert:

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids…

still running the 48 x 16/14?

if you’re running a brake you don’t really need to skid, i guess. no brakes skipping is a must, skidding is good too.

48x16 99% of the time
48x14 the other 1%

and i know that with the 48x16 skid patches suck and i don’t really wanna wear out me tires.

48 x 14 sounds difficult to skid regardless, 48 x 16 I’d imagine you can skip anyway…

But with a brake… why not use it?

In my experience a brake plus hard backcranking should stop you on a dime…

just lean forward and lock up that back wheel. farther forward you lean, the easier it is to skid, and is less effective for slowing down. but when you’re learning, just start off with the nuts to stem method of skidding and work your way back to the saddle over time. and maybe put a 47 ring on for more skid patches/easier to skid on.

I feel like I am less than an expert on this subject, but…

I rode BMX and mountain bikes for ages before fixed, and skidding came somewhat hard to me as well. The usual result, even when I followed the directions of the internet and friends perfectly was i would skip the rear wheel a tiny bit, but the momentum would just lift me up and over after that. I was reasonably strong, too- I could stop in somewhat short distances by just resisting, and for the life of me couldn’t manage to skid.

The day i figured it out I was somewhat drunk (hah) and I really, really jerked my front foot up against the strap and held it, sort of using it to lever my rear leg down. that was the ticket. I had never ridden with foot retention before, so it felt crazy counterintuitive to do this, but when i did it worked perfectly.

Perhaps this won’t help you, but I hope it does. try really jerking the front foot while really pushing down in the back too. use all of your weight, imagine yourself halting the forward rotation of the wheel with your front foot pulling up, and then mashing all of your weight down backwards. for me, it was the weird notion of straining so hard against the straps that was stopping me from getting it.

[quote=“sam”]The usual result, even when I followed the directions of the internet and friends perfectly was i would skip the rear wheel a tiny bit, but the momentum would just lift me up and over after that. I was reasonably strong, too- I could stop in somewhat short distances by just resisting, and for the life of me couldn’t manage to skid.
[/quote]

jackpot.

oh yeah, i couldn’t get it either for a while until i tried a skid on a patch of slightly dewy grass. it was easy as hell, and teaches you the proper way to start the skid. watch, try the grass thing. you’ll be skidding on concrete within 10 minutes.

maybe the proper question should’ve been “how do I skid”?

wrong.

&

@

sorry. ^ thats what you get when you’re posting on different threads on the same forum with 2 different windows open.
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurr!

so can you skid yet?

only in my underpants, as of now.

My buddy Jeff, true story, he used to be really into fixies and he could lock up the rear wheel using only his legs–I’m talking no hands on the bars, just pure leg strength–and he ran like a ridiculous 54/13 ratio all the time and no brakes on these tiny flatbars, and we kept telling him, Jeff, fuck, you know yo’ure playing with fire, skids aren’t for you, you’re not a kid anymore, who do you think you are, etc…!!! But he wouldn’t listen. Then on his 30th birthday, he woke up with a blinking red light on his palm and these two 17 year-olds on unbranded Kilo TT’s with kenda koncepts that were so pristine from resisting all day you could EAT OFF THEM stole into Jeff’s bedroom and LAID DOWN THE MOTHERFUCKING LAW.

Bottom line is, look out. You are not allowed to pull off any tricks that they haven’t learned yet. But if you try and do something that they learned–like weeeeks ago, bro–and you’re clearly fucking it up, then they just might shoot you in the forehead for being such an obvious loser.

man, i have no idea what you just said.

huzzah!