skidding

i remember learning to skid back in the day…

Tip:
don’t use your front brake, even if the skidding isn’t quite going as you planned.

… unless you like doing multiple somersaults in the air before landing 10 feet from where you began your acrobatic maneuver only to have your bike land on top of you & destroy your brand new handlebars that you wasted way too much money on.

uh, yeah.
i’m just saying… it happens.
i’m sure i’m not the only one.
really. i’m not, right?

Haha I’m pretty sure that’s never happened to me…although once I recall skidding into a stop sign, only to realize I wouldn’t make it–except I saw a copper hiding down the street doing the whole stopsign-ticket thing. I hit the brake and put my feet on the ground at the same time and all I can say is thank god for compact geometry.

[quote=“artblur”]
i’m just saying… it happens.[/quote]

but only in front of girls.

-j

[quote=“artblur”]i remember learning to skid back in the day…

Tip:
don’t use your front brake, even if the skidding isn’t quite going as you planned.

… unless you like doing multiple somersaults in the air before landing 10 feet from where you began your acrobatic maneuver only to have your bike land on top of you & destroy your brand new handlebars that you wasted way too much money on.

uh, yeah.
i’m just saying… it happens.
i’m sure i’m not the only one.
really. i’m not, right?[/quote]

Happened to me but only because I got my shoelace wrapped around my pedal spindle. I went to skid so I didn’t get tossed and I couldn’t stop fast enough. Being the smart guy I was I grabbed some front brake and about the same results happened. Went straight over the front mid air, broke my collar bone, was stuck underneath my bike.

makes me not want to get a front brake, but i always fear that i would throw a chain, and then i’m just kind of shit out of luck

how would that make you not want to run a brake? just dont EVEN use the front brake, when your centre of gravity is anywhere NEAR to above your front axle, or else your bike will just pivot.

if you throw a chain, just ted shred that shit, if youve ever seen brakeless BMXers stopping, its esentially that, but on a bigger bike. ALSO, if you run a striaght chainline, even if your chain is a little slack, it should stay on, unless something pushes it off to the side while youre riding, and even then its tricky(assuming youre not running a ramped chainring…then shit gets different)

If you throw a chain, man up, and jam that foot between the tire and the top of the seat stays.

You guys need to learn how to ride your bikes. You won’t get thrown over the handlebars if you have any amount of handling skills.

Never been close to being thrown over the handlebars :cool:

[quote=“spacehippo”]
Happened to me but only because I got my shoelace wrapped around my pedal spindle. I went to skid so I didn’t get tossed and I couldn’t stop fast enough. Being the smart guy I was I grabbed some front brake and about the same results happened. Went straight over the front mid air, broke my collar bone, was stuck underneath my bike.[/quote]

that happened to me the right after i was thinking that morning, “i really need to cut the excess off these shoelaces”

everything except the crashing part.

i was in toeclips and i felt it happening so my foot wasnt going anywhere. i just let it tear the eyelet out of my chuck. the shoelace eventually snapped too. stopped like normal and unraveled. broke a strap later that day. it was an intense day.