smoothing welds

horrible idea atmo

first time you go over train tracks/sprint on the bike… cracks all over the welds
bondo, doesnt flex.[/quote]

Don’t use bondo, use something like everglaze or any fiberglass puddy that will flex…

Wow you guys took the bondo comment way too seriously. Was joke guise.

papier mache will flex

VT, yeah i thought it was a joke.
i just dont know how people taking advice would take it

about bondo not cracking on car body panels, a car has suspension, and many other elements that damp vibrations
try putting bondo on a control arm/sway bar and tell me if it doesnt crack

im not sure if it would crack or not. if it doesnt, good for you.
if it does, you just created a lot more work for yourself

this has been discussed plenty of times, but covering up welds is an unprofessional thing
welding takes talent, and (at least on mine) the TK2 welds look pretty fuckin good

i wouldnt cover them up

ugliest welds are the best/strongest welds atmo

lol whut

My help, it’s not needed in this thread.

Best answer.

Also:

when did this place turn into bike forums?

so not welding but brazing. hmmm.

WTH, dude uses a rosebud and a torch. He’s putting a damned lot of heat into that frame.

[quote=halbritt]WTH, dude uses a rosebud and a torch. He’s putting a damned lot of heat into that frame.

[/quote]

Is it me or should he be wearing protective eyewear?
Is he doing some kind of welding that doesn’t burn his eyes out?

I wear clear lenses with silver flux and light tint with brass, only because it glows enough to make my eyes a little sensitive. But no, it’s not like welding. There’s no arc, which is what fucks your eyes up when you stare at a weld.

thank you.
Welding is one of those things I was around enough growing up to know just enough to get confused.

He is wearing protective eyewear. They look like shade 3 glasses and would have a green tint for absorbing IR light which is primarily what’s emitted when using an O/A torch. Shade 3 is the lightest shade and is common for glass blowers. Brazing is such a low-temp process comparatively that it gives off very little IR light. When I’m cutting with O/A or plasma, I use a shade 5 lens. When I TIG weld under 100 amps I’ll use a shade 9. My hood goes to shade 13, I believe and I usually keep it at shade 10. Any kind of arc welding gives off intense IR and UV light.

The darkness of the tint is usually just for comfort as most if not all safety goggles and welding hoods absorb 100% UV and IR. Some folks freak out when an auto hood flashes 'em (fails to darken) when really, there’s no possibility of damage to one’s vision.

[quote=halbritt]He is wearing protective eyewear. They look like shade 3 glasses and would have a green tint for absorbing IR light which is primarily what’s emitted when using an O/A torch. Shade 3 is the lightest shade and is common for glass blowers. Brazing is such a low-temp process comparatively that it gives off very little IR light. When I’m cutting with O/A or plasma, I use a shade 5 lens. When I TIG weld under 100 amps I’ll use a shade 9. My hood goes to shade 13, I believe and I usually keep it at shade 10. Any kind of arc welding gives off intense IR and UV light.

The darkness of the tint is usually just for comfort as most if not all safety goggles and welding hoods absorb 100% UV and IR. Some folks freak out when an auto hood flashes 'em (fails to darken) when really, there’s no possibility of damage to one’s vision.[/quote]

All I know is I have seen my dad come home with a flash sunburn bc he quickly touched something up at work and was dumb and didn’t through sleeves and a full hood on.

I’ve welded for hours with short sleeves and not been sunburned by it, can’t imagine getting sunburned by quickly touching something up.

[quote=halbritt]WTH, dude uses a rosebud and a torch. He’s putting a damned lot of heat into that frame.

[/quote]

yeah there was huge discussion of that method on the CR list. a few dudes saying he overheated the joint and it’s not safe while a large majority (of framebuilders) were saying that it’s fine, he just heats it up quick to the right temp brazes and lets it cool. that shop did tons of testing brazing up joints quick vs slow and did destructive testing and concluded that the fast braze method was stronger…

The only time I wear sleeves when welding is in the winter

I’ve never worn the sleeves even though I have them. Most of the time its just a glove on my left hand, my welding mask, and whatever I happen to be wearing at the time. I need to get my ass in gear and get some scrap bikes so I can start my cargo bike project.