SO AERO

Some good ideas in this thread.

Get a fucking Softride!

[quote=crowding]Some good ideas in this thread.

[/quote]

dude!

amaze.

[quote=cousinmosquito][quote=jimmythefly]Get me into a TT bike.

There’s a local multi-sport stage race that includes a road bike leg that is a 22 mile mostly-downhill time trial. Some coworkers and I will be forming a Clydesdale team in the Business division.

This is my excuse to build up a fun/funny/cheapskate aero bike.

Option 1 is to time-trial-ify my mini velo. Remove fenders, add narrow tires, get some BMX 20" aero wheel covers, etc. Challenges include that because of the small wheels I’ll need to find a massive chainring -I have a 54 now and that is very easy to spin out. Upside is it will look hilarious which I am definitely not trying to be too serious about this.

Option 2 is to find a road frame and build up something specific. Ideally I can find some wheels with at least a bit of a deep rim -all the better to add large gaudy graphics or paint scheme. It would be awesome to find a frame with some huge aero tubes too.

Either way I plan on some silly paint.

DQ: sizing- I typically ride a 56. I assume if I stick with drop bars that is good. But what if I want to use some aero bars -what size frame should I look out for?

DQ2: Should I homebrew some plastic aero fairings if my frame has normal round tubes?
DQ3: Should I homebrew a helmet extension too?[/quote]
Inappropriate TTing is my thing.
DQ: Typically TT bikes are a couple of CMS shorter than road bikes, in my experience anyway.
Minivelo. That would rock. You might be surprised at how fast it was. I cant find this guy from my IG, but he races them with disc covers front and rear.
They seem to be these pink ones: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTq0L7xAniZ/?taken-by=miniveloatelier
Strapping on some aero bars would be a no-brainer. You could possibly mess with stems to get your position right but if its mostly down-hill, clipping your knees on the pads when climbing shouldn’t be an issue.

I am not sure what you could do about the big ring. Its not like you find stuff larger than a 54/56 lying around in parts bins eh? More likely you could try a some kind of hack involving one of the stupid small 1x sprockets like a 10 or a 9 tooth, but I guess that would mean XD driver ?[/quote]

I was hoping you’d show up here

KARATT MONKEY FOREVER (even though it’s gone)

Ha ha. I stumbled across this just yesterday in my google images. The record of the record. RIP KMTT. Sniff.
I cant wait to see the Minivelo TT world record . We saw some really wicked Minivelos in Naoshima Art Island in Japan. They wouldn’t let us hire them tho.

Fuuuuu. Anybody got some extra bmx cranks with a euro bb?

[quote=jimmythefly]Fuuuuu. Anybody got some extra bmx cranks with a euro bb?

Mental. Check for ground clearance ; )

This guy does the coolest rings.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BY606vmAeuM/?taken-by=bespokechainrings

You could also go some kind of funny bike with 24" front wheel like https://www.facebook.com/BiCiCoHartford/photos/a.1465044083802447.1073741828.1459768310996691/1776441639329355/?type=3

[quote=Rusty Piton]Get a fucking Softride!

[/quote]

Holy shit!

I’ve got two actual time trial funny bikes sitting around in seattle.

One’s just a frame and fork. Colnago, takes a 650c wheel. It’s fancy, and has just been sitting around for years because nobody wants to buy it, just look at it.

Other one is complete. It’s a Nashbar (looks like a rebranded GT), with a 24" front wheel (terry standard). It’s been sitting at a co-workers house for a while. I’ve been trying to sell it for practically nothing, but again, nobody wants it. It’s actually fun to ride.

I’d be down to sell for cheap or loan either one for such a worthy cause.

Here’s the Nashbar. Bad pic but it’s what I’ve got.

[quote=wesbarf]I’ve got two actual time trial funny bikes sitting around in seattle.

One’s just a frame and fork. Colnago, takes a 650c wheel. It’s fancy, and has just been sitting around for years because nobody wants to buy it, just look at it.

Other one is complete. It’s a Nashbar (looks like a rebranded GT), with a 24" front wheel (terry standard). It’s been sitting at a co-workers house for a while. I’ve been trying to sell it for practically nothing, but again, nobody wants it. It’s actually fun to ride.

I’d be down to sell for cheap or loan either one for such a worthy cause.

Here’s the Nashbar. Bad pic but it’s what I’ve got.

[/quote]

Fuck! I would love something like that with risers as a dumb pub bike.

I do not believe I could ride that bike after drinking. Maybe not before.
Looks cool though.

some very fast small wheeled bikes in this page…
http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/toeoverlap.html

Well shit. 53/11 on a 700x25 tire is equivalent to 76/11 on a 20x1.25 tire. So I’m looking at a custom chainwheel, some sort of halfshaft step-up gearing(maybe based on a tandem child stoker kit), or going to a bike with a 700c rear wheel.

I’m not 100% sure I’d need a 53/11 as I’ve never hammered downhill on this course before. But even 52/12 on 700c works out to 68/11 on 20in wheels so I’m still in the same boat. And the course is pretty much 2%-5% downhill grade the whole way.

I need to go pre-run some of the course on a standard road bike first to see what I really might need.

This would give you 33% overdrive. You could run it locked in high gear.

^ lollin’ at the idea of a tinywheel aero bike with a giant chainring and basically a transfer case. Jimmy can you wear a morph suit?