SO AERO

Possibly.

I’m leaning toward the pizza rear disc, waffle chainwheel, and doughnut front wheel. Possibly hamburger bag. BLL aero hamlet.

SNACK CAPTAIN[/quote]

& dangle this cheese wedge from your aero bars:

[quote=jimmythefly][quote=b-roll]Also, I’ve got this if it will work:

[/quote]

Thanks, not quite tall nor boner enough.[/quote]

Worth a try, right? Guess I’ll have to make a gas station restroom keyfob out of it after all.

Gearing is proving to be an issue on the mini-velo. Might still happen but the event is only 18 days away.

As a backup plan, I accidentally a sweet old steel frame in gaudy gold metallic paint from eBay. I shall build this frame with some smexy modern components in black.

With that in mind, if you have a line on some moderately priced 700c very deep aero wheels, I am interested. Someone (several someones) had a sweet old steel bike built up with some deep section rims and it looked cool as hell that’s what I’m going for.

not super deep, but I have some reynolds assault tubulars (46mm, i think?) that i can part with. say $400 + shipping?

TC: I’m somewhat of an idiot.

Got a sweet deal on some Easton EC90 55mm deep carbon wheels.

They have 33mm Clement MXP tubeless tires on them. Sweet, most of the deals are for tubulars, and I don’t want to mess with glue, just want to swap on some 23c road tires.

Well, fuck me, Clement makes a tubeless-tubular. Yes my tires are glued on. Dammit.

Oh shit Jimmy I forgot to look for those brakes and stuff

No prob. I am sorted.

Hoping for pics of this TT wonder in action.

[quote=jimmythefly]TC: I’m somewhat of an idiot.

Got a sweet deal on some Easton EC90 55mm deep carbon wheels.

They have 33mm Clement MXP tubeless tires on them. Sweet, most of the deals are for tubulars, and I don’t want to mess with glue, just want to swap on some 23c road tires.

Well, fuck me, Clement makes a tubeless-tubular. Yes my tires are glued on. Dammit.[/quote]

wait, it’s a tubeless tubular ? - so the rims are tubular?

i mean that was tufo’s deal back in the day, but no one uses tufos anymore…

Donnelly does the same thing.

People still use tubular tires?

cross, man

well, and road racing.

But like, why?

I still think my 23mm Veloflex tubs ride and handle better than any clincher I’ve ridden. They give me a ride quality of a bigger, lower pressure setup without the weight or change in handling. If I didn’t have to worry about road debris (a lot here on LI) I’d riding nothing else.

I still think my 23mm Veloflex tubs ride and handle better than any clincher I’ve ridden. They give me a ride quality of a bigger, lower pressure setup without the weight or change in handling. If I didn’t have to worry about road debris (a lot here on LI) I’d riding nothing else. Doesn’t hurt to have killer light carbon tubular wheels to put them on.

My default assumption has always been that I’m just never making the leap into road tubular. Clinchers keep getting better and better, tubeless is opening up a lot of options…

…then I read things like this, and I wonder if it’s not worth just rebuilding my broakland’s wheelset with tubular rims and making it into a fully ridiculous old school road bike.

Tubulars are fun if you like fucking with your bike and getting high on glue fumes. But they do not offer a better ride than high-end clinchers any more–at least from my experience comparing FMBs and Dugasts to various Compass and Specialized tires.

But you should still try it, it’s kind of fun. Especially going around a corner at high speed after your first-ever glue job.

cross tubulars > cross tubeless. all day, every day.

I mean, I have tubular road racing wheels and I am going to continue to use them for road racing. they just feel better (to me) and I’d rather not buy new wheels that are just going to be heavier, anyways.

[quote=Recumbentist]Tubulars are fun if you like fucking with your bike and getting high on glue fumes. But they do not offer a better ride than high-end clinchers any more–at least from my experience comparing FMBs and Dugasts to various Compass and Specialized tires.

But you should still try it, it’s kind of fun. Especially going around a corner at high speed after your first-ever glue job.[/quote]

80% just like building wheels
10% always interested in learning additional bike skills
10% actually curious about the ride quality of tubulars.
5% solvent fumes are cheaper than booze