Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

Yeah I dunno. I even have the Addix on my 3in Nobby Nic’s - is awesome.

Time to see if they live up to the hype…

Any other tire with a bit of tread in 650B(27.5) that’s no wider than 28mm (1.9)? I know of the Gravel King SK. Some have said it doesn’t hook up that well, but I haven’t gotten to crazy with them yet.

I know about G One, but I’m not sure they would be any sort of improvement.

Any tips for refreshing the sealant on my mtb as someone whose never done anything tubeless before? It’s been about 6 months since tire install, by the shop where i got the bike. What’s tarck’s favorite sealant nowadays?

Orange Seal Endurance
Orange Seal

I got the actual plunger squirter-inner and I did not have to use any weird fuckery to reinflate after adding more sealant because the beads stayed seated. I kept the bike in the stand the whole time doing this. Previously had to use a compressor to re-seat the bead.

If it setup with stans, you can also use/reuse the little 2oz bottles to refill. Just remove the valve core (special tool or needle nose pliers work). Like Jordan said, you don’t have to peel tire off.

1 Like

Only trick is how to tell if you have sealant left or not. In the past I’ve used a spoke like a dip stick (I first use a pipe cleaner to make sure the valve stem doesn’t contaminate my reading). It is also good to get a base line for how much sealant is on your “dip stick” when you seal up a tire with fresh milk.

PS tangentially related: someone link me to the 3M tape that I’m suppose to be using instead of gorilla tape! Let’s say for a 24mm internal rim.

how much more supple will Compass Rat Trap Passes be compared to Tioga Powerblocks
450g per tire vs 550g per tire

Never tried the powerblocks, but I have a set of RTP and there’s nothing quite like it.

It’s like riding on squishy balloons, but it’s not sketchy at all, and it has all the cornering grip you could ever want.

Do you guys all use the plunger squirter-inner?

Dipstick is a good idea, I’ll try it.

Most people either use that or the single use squirters. I got the plunger because I buy sealant in big bottles.

This is my new favorite tool for adding sealant.

But these also work in a pinch

https://www.amazon.com/Syringe-60cc-Luer-Lock-Sterile/dp/B000FN897I/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1533921266&sr=8-20&keywords=large+bore+syringe

Unscrew valve core, insert, squirt.

Like Turp, I buy big bottles.

I’m going to say infinity more supple

2 Likes

Backing this.

I’ve used the Stan’s injector thing only because it’s what was available locally from one of the only shops open at that particular time on a Sunday afternoon (Performance, but bought a Camelbak mule while I was there that ended up being 60% off HY).

I’m mounting up a set of Graveking SKs today, I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

The Tioga Powerblocks are good tires esp for the price, but the RTP are infinitely more supple. They will also take a lot of sealant to seal up, so don’t be sad if you end up having to add more or if the sidewalls weep for a long time. Have done them both with Stans Sealant and Orange Seal.

Something I’ve not yet tried (but recently considered for mega weepy tires) is doing an initial sealing with Stans Racing Sealant, and then filling with normal sealant after the fact. Someone just did a sealant comparison and Stans Racing Sealant supposedly sealed up much better than almost anything else, but others later reported it doesn’t have the same longevity in the tire. Makes sense in the context of racing I guess.

There are a lot of reasons my idea may not work - maybe normal sealant will just wash off the racing shit and it won’t matter. But maybe the racing sealant will seal super weepy sidewalls better, galvanize a bit, and then be a perfect vessel for normal sealant, which would be cool.

Only one way to find out.

yo @ergott . Gravelkings are awesome. I snapped a pedros lever getting them on my rims but their tubeless setup was a fucking breeze. I easily seated them with just a floor pump and not even a very good one. Seated up at about 40psi. I dumped 1.8oz of orange seal into the valve stem and there is no audible or visible weeping.

Man that is the dream for me. I have never, ever gotten tires to seat with just a floor pump, and I feel like I’ve dropped some serious dosh on floor pumps by now. Finally did one of those Joe Blow things, which sucks but is just this side of better than nothing. Though ask me on try 3 or 4 if I still feel that way.