SPD clipless shoe help

i’ve almost busted my ass several times taking the backstairs out of my apartment, but i always know when i am clipped in with look cleats.

What do you mean by slick? Slick while walking? Or trying to clip in? or out?[/quote]

Most road shoes and Looks in particular are difficult to walk around in as the shoes generally have no tread. You can get cleat covers that make it easier:

…but you have to pop those on and off every time you want to walk around. Road shoes and the pedals that go with them have a lot of benefits that justify using them if you’re not going to be walking much. A lot of people use mountain shoes and 2-bolt cleats like SPD because they have tread and a recessed cleat. You can generally walk around with them without too much hassle.

^ This. I can wear my mountain shoes around all day and the cleat only rubs a tiny bit on rough sidewalks. I’m sure road shoes would be better for long rides, but even fairly casual looking mountain shoes are infinitely better for riding than your average tennis shoe + clips and straps.

Thanks for clarification, and the cleats for these KEO pedals can not be attached to MTB shoes, right?

I’m fine with having unwalkable shoes. I plan on riding about 13 miles each way to work, where I have a pair of work boots, for shit around town I have the fixed gear with clips/straps. And then maybe some longer rides on the weekends, maybe throw some flip flops in a saddle bag or something, haha

That is correct. You’ll need some road shoes. You’ll likely love 'em.

Don’t they make adapters from 3-bolt road cleat patterns to 2-bolt MTB cleat patterns and vice versa? I imagine that having the adapter to some extent negates the recessed cleat advantage of MTB shoes, though. Probably more of a solution for somebody who already has shoes and pedals that happen to be incompatible and doesn’t wanna shell out the cash for new shoes or pedals.

That kind of thing would really worry me though, just seems sort of dangerous, I guess.

like making a rowboat out of ice, is that what you’re thinking henryclay?

No one makes anything like this that I’m aware of. It just doesn’t make sense. 2-bolt cleats are that way for walkability, By adapting a road shoe, you lose the walkability. 3-bolt cleats offer a wide contact patch, low stack height and light weight. All three would be lost with an adapter. Some shoe companies still make their road shoes 2-bolt compatible.

Pretty much

Maybe that’s what I was thinking of. Or maybe I was just making shit up again. It’s really hard to say.

There are Speedplay adapter plates. Maybe you are thinking of those?

I think Crank Brothers does something like that too.

I don’t think so - those are just used for that system to get your cleats adjusted, right?

Um. So when I bought this bike I was told it had KEO pedals, and I didn’t think much of it. Got KEO cleats, rode it around. It clips in and out fine, and holds you pretty tight, but there’s a slight give when you’re really pulling up on the pedal. I check out the pedals closer and notice it says LOOK ARC on the bottom… are the cleats for these pedals interchangeable, and my pedals are just worn? Or is it a slightly different cleat?

mtb shoes and eggbeaters ftw!

Maybe that’s what I was thinking of. Or maybe I was just making shit up again. It’s really hard to say.[/quote]

Yeah, 90% of what I post is pulled straight out of my ass. If I didn’t make stuff up I’d probably only have about 30 posts.

It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one.

I must the worst as far as just making shit up.