SPD clipless shoe help

anyone know anything about these shoes?

also, i am probably gonna go MTB SPDs with eggbeaters, opinions on this/equiptment suggestions? i can’t spend much more than 100 bucks.

i considered this then just flipping the shoes.

craigslist is also your friend

I should have just brought this up the other night, but cheap SPD is probably gonna be better for you than cheap crank bros. I’ve noticed a huge difference in feel between my pedals and James’ nice eggbeaters. Comparatively, the springs just feel mushy on mine and the clip in and clip out is a bit unpredictable as a result. I’ve just been too in love with the clipless platform to notice that my pedals aren’t really all that great. Apparently any SPDs will be crisper feeling and more sturdy in general than cheap eggbeaters. Not to mention you can find used SPDs for like 15 bucks.

M520s can be had from ebay for $20-30. I like 'em. Shoes are harder to figure out, it really depends on the person.

Yeah, you gotta try that shit on and walk around awhile. One of the guys at the shop got these new Bontrager Street shoes and LOVES ‘em, so I tried them on just to see what they were like, and my foot felt violated. I think I’m gonna be a Shimano man when I finally go clipless, which shouldn’t be too long here. Oh, and I’ll be runnin’ the 520s. Cheap n’ functional is just my style.

Go to your nearest Specialized dealer and try their shoes. Their cheap models are surprisingly nice.

I got some Shimano RT-51s and like them. They’re stiff, like a road shoe, but you can still walk with the tread. They’ve been discontinued now. The RT80s look cool. Also, insoles can help some shoes.

I just got some Adidas road shoes and some shimano R540

http://www.rei.com/product/710073

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMatrix.asp?utm_source=Feeds&utm_medium=GoogleProduct&utm_campaign=Froogle&GroupCode=SHR-ADI-GIRANO&MatrixType=1

I really like this set up. I used some cheap crank bros and some sidi road shoes before and hated clipless, couldn’t get in or out, now I love it!

i mean does anyone know about those Fly Talon 2’s from OP?

those m520’s look nice, but i kind of like the idea of the 4 way lock in potential with eggbeaters.

[quote=pascal]i mean does anyone know about those Fly Talon 2’s from OP?

those m520’s look nice, but i kind of like the idea of the 4 way lock in potential with eggbeaters.[/quote]

You really don’t need it. I almost always clip in first time with my 540’s.

And there’s also the fact that Eggbeaters explode if you expose them to the outdoors.

I’m actually looking at those rt51’s now. But I’m sopposed to ride a 42cm, so im going to try on some size 40 shimanos shoes at the LBS first before i get these.

I have never even heard of Fly brand shoes.

The RT51s were my dream shoes when I first started fantasizing about clipless stuff. Then we ran out of all but the supersmall sizes at the shop, then I learned that they will be no more. Frustrating. I was thinkin’ of doing the MO76’s, but the RT80s might be something I should look into. Why they gotta be that crazy silver?

I’m having absolutely NO problems with my eggbeaters
granted it’s only been like 2 months

I’m loving the new Mavic shoes. I’ve got the Razors and finally feel like I have enough use to form an opinion.

20 mile road rides with no hot spots and a fair amount of mountain biking without incident. Walking around is pretty comfortable off the bike too. $125 and they actually have the ratchet strap (a must in my opinion). Came with all the associated shims, toe spikes/wrench, and they look like badass silver/yellow space boots. Rumor has it the shoes are made by Adidas. I can believe it, they are sized almost exactly the same as my Sambas.

I’m actually looking at those rt51’s now. But I’m sopposed to ride a 42cm, so im going to try on some size 40 shimanos shoes at the LBS first before i get these.[/quote]

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/shoes/footwear_sizing_chart.html

I’m supposed to be a 45. My RT-51s are 44 and a bit snug. I like 'em that way. The insoles hurt like hell, so I threw some superfeet yellows in there. All better now.

RT50s and RT51s can be found on closeout deals. I’ve no clue how good the RT80s are. I’m pretty sure the non-casual mountain shoes are just as stiff and may work as well.

What do you guys know about KEO clipless pedals? Bike I looked at today had some on it. They any good? adjustable, rebuildable, etc…

He said they’re the older style, which is pretty much just a bit heavier and maybe bulkier than newer ones.

I imagine there’s a reason why they’re pretty standard as far as clipless road pedals go. Don’t take my word for it though, I’m sure there’s plenty of reviews to be found for any model with some simple google searching.

Look makes very nice pedals. I think the cleat is a little slick, though. I prefer the SPD-SL

What do you mean by slick? Slick while walking? Or trying to clip in? or out?