Spurbury police VS. Rockbros AKA the Bell Thread

I just got my Rockbros bell delivered from china.
The ripoff is utterly shameless save for a little bit of engrish:

Noticeable roughness on the striker:

As far as I can tell, the construction is 100% identical to the Spurcycle bell the only difference being the lower quality finishes and probably cheaper material. The skeleton of the bell looks more galvanized that stainless to my eye, but maybe it’s just less shiny.
I’ll report on the ding once I get it mounted up.

Please do–I love my Spurcycle, even despite the overpricing and the overly precious ad video.

Your china post beat my china post.

Is the bell dome steel or aluminium? That’s gotta be the main factor I reckon.

I have a “bronze” one coming, will report if steel/ano alu/Cu-based

Watching this intently. I can’t decide whether the finishing is worth the premium for the Spurcycle. I think it might be but I guess I’d like to know exactly how cheap the knockoff is.

Please report on the ding… I must know about the ding!

Also, I played with the Crane knock-offs at Recycled the other day, and they sound good. I don’t know what a SpurCycle sounds like. Perhaps a comparison video is in order?

I haven’t mounted the rockbro yet but the ding is pretty similar in my hand. My spur is silver and my rockbro is black but it looks like paint. It’s the best 12 dollar bell ever made. There is no doubt about that.

I’ll put a magnet to the dome…

Ok. It’s non ferrous. I removed the dome from the rest of the bell and the bag net did nothing.
It may be brass or some other yellow metal, the paint is very thin.

I love tarck

wintage townie.

Take a file to the edge to see if it’s copper based?

If it’s silver, non magnetic could also be stainless (but that’s $, even in basic 304, no reason you wouldn’t just use carbon steel), aluminium is likely as easy to paint/ano in the colours they offer and simple to form and cheap.

Determine the density (weight from scale, volume by displacement in water) for an easy ballpark material determination if you can’t figger alu/steel/zinc etc from appearance.

Mods please change my name to Wintage Townie.

tarck. Where an honest and considered suggestion to determine metal type of a $12 knock off bell is to measure it’s water displacement versus known weight.

Now that we know all bikes suck we need something else for our team of experts to work on.

[quote=bonechilling]Mods please change my name to Wintage Townie.[/quote]so much winning in this thread right now

Ready and willing.

mostly because I don’t have easy access to a handheld XRF anymore so I can’t just zap it and tell you straight up what it is.

[quote=Blakey]Take a file to the edge to see if it’s copper based?

If it’s silver, non magnetic could also be stainless (but that’s $, even in basic 304, no reason you wouldn’t just use carbon steel), aluminium is likely as easy to paint/ano in the colours they offer and simple to form and cheap.

Determine the density (weight from scale, volume by displacement in water) for an easy ballpark material determination if you can’t figger alu/steel/zinc etc from appearance.[/quote]
get the fuck out. It’s a bicycle bell, not a piece of aerospace shit.

Well, most people can tell the difference between steel, brass and aluminium from a quick visual, but tarck is about overdoing things.