Sugino mighty, JIS?

I got some old suginos, they are 151 bcd so they had to be pre 1967 i guess?

Anyways was wondering about the bb that i need for them is it JIS or ISO?

They fit perfect on my shimano so they got to be JIS?

Sorry still kinda of a noob in the whole bb part.

thanks

i’d guess they were ISO originally but somone probably bolted them on a JIS spindle and made the taper a little larger…so if they fit your JIS spindle and your chainline is good then it’s all good.

so it is ISO then, i saw a thread some one was asking, the same thing and they came to a conclusion that it was JIS…

Weird.

Does it not fit?

Brianforums thread. Go read Sheldon.

i did read sheldon, all he said that “Some old suginos” were ISO. This one is old but does it fall into the “some” category?

i unno i think im confused mainly because of the variety opinions on this, and the fact that it fits dead on…

Read Sheldon’s description of ISO vs. JIS, they are the same taper.

got a JIS sugino bb 103 mm, chain line perfect, sits there perfect, according to sheldon difference isnt that big so it works.

You gotta be somewhat careful with this shit. I had a pair of old ISO sugino track cranks, the original owner had them on a JIS taper, then I got a loseball ISO bb which I eventually replaced with a shimano bb. All of the switching between tapers and constantly removing and reinstalling the cranks to service the bb ruined the tapers and now all the cranks can do is look pretty on my wall. :frowning:

What I’m saying is don’t switch between ISO and JIS a bunch, especially if you have a loose ball bb.

Your cranks are beautiful btw.

The chainline is working because it is sitting 4.5mm further out than it would on an ISO taper. The correct BB/spindle would be the Sugino track S75 or 68 BB (same spindle w/different cups) that is a 109mm spindle. Also, curious as to how you assume they are pre-67 because of the 151bcd. I have a set of Sugino 151bcd track cranks that are dated 1972.

I got some 144bcd Super Mighty’s on a Miche 107mm BB and they give a perfect chainline so I guess the taper on my cranks is ISO. Whatever.

The chainline is working because it is sitting 4.5mm further out than it would on an ISO taper. The correct BB/spindle would be the Sugino track S75 or 68 BB (same spindle w/different cups) that is a 109mm spindle. Also, curious as to how you assume they are pre-67 because of the 151bcd. I have a set of Sugino 151bcd track cranks that are dated 1972.[/quote]

yea i read it somewhere, that 151 was the pre 67 option, but i might be wrong, so they are not that old. Doesnt really matter tho.

[quote=pirate]You gotta be somewhat careful with this shit. I had a pair of old ISO sugino track cranks, the original owner had them on a JIS taper, then I got a loseball ISO bb which I eventually replaced with a shimano bb. All of the switching between tapers and constantly removing and reinstalling the cranks to service the bb ruined the tapers and now all the cranks can do is look pretty on my wall. :frowning:

What I’m saying is don’t switch between ISO and JIS a bunch, especially if you have a loose ball bb.

Your cranks are beautiful btw.[/quote]

yea i thought about it, and its a sealed bb so i wont be taking them off for a while, although i want to take it out one more time to drill a drain in the shell so the water that gets through seat post and stuff, can get out.

yea i still cant be totally sure what taper is it, it goes really tight onto my JIS sugino 103 sealed so i guess ill leave it at that