TAF, JA, or just WTH?

they couldn’t find or modify longer rack struts for a bike they wanted to post on the entire internet? :colbert:

5 Likes

but the ck headset is upside down. only a true connoisseur of velocipedes could ever know that it could be installed upside down and still function like a right side up headset.

truly breathtaking.

13 Likes

Real Fabricators and Builders know

1 Like

did @JUGE_FREDD ride the cow bike for over a year unpainted and covered in rust before it became the cow bike?

2 Likes

Yes

The bike that inspired so many hashtags

1 Like

also didnt it launch 1,000 low trail forks? It was the inspiration for squirrels NFE bike which started the NFE runs which were basically hunter gatheres with shitty brakes.

2 Likes

did that precede the NFE? i thought it kinda paralleled it but fredd’s was lighter, lower bb, etc

Pretty sure Fred rode 2014 boregon pukeback on the Holstein and that preceded

2 Likes

The mega-thread about the cowbike on VS is from 2012

6 Likes

way to make me feel old!

4 Likes

damn time is some kind of thing huh? the holstein was certainly what piqued my interest in low trail. got a grando on prodeal to try it and fell in love. feeling like maybe slightly less low might be my happy place but i have someone’s old CG x searchlight so i’ll be in the same spot for a bit longer

2 Likes

:colbert:

The NFE supercharged the budding big-tire off-road luggage-packing trend and deserves a special place of honor.

3 Likes

Glenn made the Holstein bike IIRC @JUGE_FREDD

1 Like

no Squirrel’s original orange canti NFE frame was a hand-me-down from John Speare, which was the first NFE that Glen made, Squirrel originally built it up with the wheels from my canti rSogn that I parted out after building my disc NFE

2 Likes

rough order of operations:

• 2002 Grant Petersen gives Jan Heine his subscriber list from the Rivendell Reader to start Vintage Bicycle Quarterly
  • 2004 Grant Petersen revives 650b in america
  • 2006 Kogswell P/R gen1 in cream with multiple fork offsets
  • 2006 Rivendell Bleriot in QBP catalog
  • 2007 Kogswell P/R gen2 in black with light tubing too (I had one)
  • 2008 Gran Bois Hetre is accidentally a 42mm tire
  • 2009 Stan’s rims and Pacenti MTB tires
  • 2009 Alex Wetmore builds his Gifford with rohloff and rim brakes but clearance for Quasi Motos
  • 2011 Alex & John have their friend Glen make a matching Elephant for John
  • 2011 Rawland rSogn production bike with standard diameter tubing and cantis
  • 2011 I imported a couple dozen vintage stronglight 9/8 threadless needle bearing headsets from the netherlands
  • 2011 I designed and marketed the Haulin Colin racks that I bullied Rawland into standardizing on the rivendell bosses for
  • 2013 I get my disc NFE made
  • 2013 Thunder Burt comes out
  • 2014 hook up Braden with Glen to make stiff tight Coffee Grinders for him
  • 2014 Glen is happy making small batch bikes which starts off the first production run of green disc NFEs
25 Likes

Glen made the first CG frames in August of 2013.

I don’t remember exactly how long it was from chatter on tarck to welding, but I want to say you connected me with Glen at the very end of 2012.

The first tarck edition ones landed with me January 2014.

The first Hunter Gatherer fork was welded May 2016 and the first production run of framesets were started in January of 2017 and landed May 2017.

7 Likes

Danny doing what must be a paid promotional spot by the city of sanfranciso is fine w/e get paid… them letting him ride/film on the skate stopped china banks is a WTH for me tho.

1 Like

Somewhere in there Alex sent Rawland a low-trail fork. I don’t think we’ll ever know the specifics or internal thoughts of Sean/Rawland, but to my understanding it did a lot to influence things beyond internet chatter and customers asking for low trail, to him actually riding a bike with that fork and then Rawland actually making the decision to build the rSogn.

1 Like

Matthew Grimm also had a couple more Kogswell tests after the initial “make the forks in three offsets” idea

He ordered three identical test frames with different gauge top tubes for Alex, Jan, and Mark to ride for a blind planing test. There was also a round of the same low trail canti test bike in 559, 584, 622 wheel sizes.

Around 2009 just before he disappeared I worked on his taiwanese porteur rack project to fit the fork crown shoulder brazeons that had been there for years. My sample ended up with the platform a potatochip shape from use, pretty sure the factory had made them with mild steel tubing.

By the end there were 8 different Kogswell P/R forks in production across different offsets, wheel sizes, and steerers

2 Likes